removing previous spray-balm paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jube455

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm finally getting around to removing t he crappy spray balm paint repair someone did on my 83 Cutlass. I bought Mother's rubbing compound and using a yellow foam pad on my buffer.
The pad is getting clogged really really quick as it fills up with the spray paint, and I'm having a hard time removing some without getting to much heat. I removed the chrome trim to show the original paint colour.
Should I move to a wet sanding?

Attachments

• 20180504_175429.jpg
    20180504_175429.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Are you trying to remove all the paint or just some rattle can over a portion of the car? Or the whole car? Buffing anything off is possibly the slowest and least efficient way to do it. We need some more details.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
If you are careful you could probably wipe it off with gasoline on a rag. Paint thinner / xylene would be too aggressive and may melt the base coat

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor