Removing rear bumper issues/ help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, removed all accessories to bumper including plastic cap... Tried removing each sides 3 bolts to the plate where they mount to like a "sleeve" that also slides into the frame, also secured by a bolt on bottom of each frame rail... Was I supposed to take different part of bumper off first, then try removing those "sleeve" mounts once body is off frame so I can get to the bolt nuts from the top of the frame? Confusing. Thx

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
The 'sleeve' is actually a bumper shock absorber and can get pretty cruddy in the rear frame rails....You should be able to undo nut that attaches absorber within the frame rail. It should be available from outside the rail, then remove the bolts and the whole unit should slide out.
Could be some corrosion 'bonding' things that shouldn't be bonded and that absorber nut/bolt I've seen reduced to a mere stub from corrosion...
2ih5iz6.jpg

23gzblj.jpg

What you don't see is that there is like a "L" bracket that goes from that stud on the absorber to the frame, and a bolt goes through that hole in frame....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Ok, so it's not a cage nut holding that bolt and I should be able access to through the gap hole in your pic? Thanks, helps tremendously

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Yes. Not sure if you are working on front or back....pictured was rear setup, front is similar but I believe you access that nut from the topside of the frame rail.
I came across a few more pics with some detail if you need, just let me know...

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Yes I'm working on back bumper. So what you're saying is there is a bolt AND a an L bracket that bolt holds the rear sleeve inside the frame there? I was able to loosen that bottom bolt so the bumper assembly moves, but the bolt then spun and couldn't remove it. So there is a nut inside the frame that I have to get get a wrench on to secure it, right? And it looks like I missed that large hole where I should be able to access it? Thanks

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
2w2g9zp.jpg

Shitty pic of a front absorber, but you can make out the "L" and the square nut tack welded to it bottom of pic. That may have busted and is spinning?
Not sure condition of what you are working with, but like said, seems anything in or around rear frame rails gets pretty brutal over the years.
The big hole you see in the previous pic is to access body mount bolt and apparently comes sealed from the factory with a plastic cover but I've never seen one intact as I guess they all tend to fall out....

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the bolt removed far enough to expose the shank then saw the head of the bolt off and you'll be able to get the shock out, or you can drill the head off the bolt

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
That's exactly what I needed to see, thanks... And yes, I think I'll need to cut the bolt off... Thanks... I'll take pics as well to share... Thanks guys!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor