Removing rear view mirror tab on windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
So I got a new custom rear view mirror and the tab that gets glued to the windshield is different then my current. What is best way to remove the current tab attached to the windshield and what is the best/correct glue to use to affix the new one. Thank you!

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Mine is really really on there..like doesnt wanna move at all. Also ive heard a lot of the automotive store glues are poor quality. Anyone have a brand that is proven to work?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I tried to "save" one once. Cost me the windshield. Unless you can find some chemical that will dissolve the glue- leave it alone.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it'll come off with a razor blade, you can work the blade under it but take your time or you'll crack the windshield. Use a hair dryer first to heat up the adhesive

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed, if you still have the old mirror, mount it to the existing tab and use as a handle. Heat up the outside of the glass with a heat gun (don't overdo it and melt it) and the existing adhesive should loosen up enough to grab the mirror and wriggle it off by gently twisting it back and forth.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Florida sun beating on your windshield seems to loosen them easily....especially when you don't want them to fall off.
While we're on the subject. Does anyone recommend a good product to glue the tab on? The Permatex stuff that I use seems to only last several months...despite how well I clean and prep the area.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor