Removing rear view mirror tab on windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Permatex mirror adhesive is good to use. What I do is take the button and flip it upside down and sand it with 180-220 on a flat surface. I sand it till it is completely uniformly flat.
When the car is done for the night,clean the area as described in the instructions. Then, I glue JUST THE TAB to the windshield, then leave it to cure overnight.
In the morning , put the rest of the mirror on, and tighten it down. Good to go!

View attachment 112066

........and to answer the original question, take it to a glass shop for removal.
Believe it or not, I use the same method. Sand the button down on a flat surface. I even use like a 120 grit to give the button some tooth. When I apply it, I also let it set overnight before installing the mirror back on. So, as you see, I try to do everything right.
I should ask my glass guy what he used on it after putting the new windshield in.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I used this product, the button still fell off when I hit a huge pothole but it took a chunk of the windshield with it....:mad:
Steve,There's got to be a commercial or industrial strength adhesive that genuinely works.

51ALpk9iptL.jpg
Steve,There's got to be a commercial brand

I've seen a windshield guy use a small cigarette lighter to warm up the button. He held it with a pliers and twisted it slightly as he warmed it up.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
hmmmm, so you were testing us??? :unsure:

Lololol!! No by no means. Just figured if I could do it on my own, I could learn from you guys and take pride in doing it like the rest of my build. But when I heard the risks...figured give my buddy a ring. Thank you guys as always for the help!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor