CUTLASS Removing rear view mirror tab on windshield?

Longroof79

Longroof79

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Permatex mirror adhesive is good to use. What I do is take the button and flip it upside down and sand it with 180-220 on a flat surface. I sand it till it is completely uniformly flat.
When the car is done for the night,clean the area as described in the instructions. Then, I glue JUST THE TAB to the windshield, then leave it to cure overnight.
In the morning , put the rest of the mirror on, and tighten it down. Good to go!

View attachment 112066

........and to answer the original question, take it to a glass shop for removal.
Believe it or not, I use the same method. Sand the button down on a flat surface. I even use like a 120 grit to give the button some tooth. When I apply it, I also let it set overnight before installing the mirror back on. So, as you see, I try to do everything right.
I should ask my glass guy what he used on it after putting the new windshield in.

Longroof79

Longroof79

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I used this product, the button still fell off when I hit a huge pothole but it took a chunk of the windshield with it....:mad:
Steve,There's got to be a commercial or industrial strength adhesive that genuinely works.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51ALpk9iptL.jpg&hash=56be94921705bd6bd05f3f03c3463165
Steve,There's got to be a commercial brand

xitabl442

xitabl442

G-Body Guru
I've seen a windshield guy use a small cigarette lighter to warm up the button. He held it with a pliers and twisted it slightly as he warmed it up.

RICKDIZZLE

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
hmmmm, so you were testing us??? :unsure:

Lololol!! No by no means. Just figured if I could do it on my own, I could learn from you guys and take pride in doing it like the rest of my build. But when I heard the risks...figured give my buddy a ring. Thank you guys as always for the help!