Removing Rusted Bumper Bolts- Plasma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
So I'm working on my 1995 F150 and I've got new (used) front and rear bumpers for it. The rear bumper is bolted to the frame with four bolts that are not gonna come out. I've tried heating them up, impact, breaker bar, penetrating oil, etc to no avail. My torch isn't meant for cutting, but a friend of mine has a plasma cutter he said I could use. I have limited experience with a plasma and I've only used one on sheet metal and thin plate. Will a plasma be able to cut through bolts? Or at least cut the heads off? The other ting to keep in mind is there is a gas tank in close proximity to the stuck bolts, about 1 1/2-3" away.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a plasma is a awesome tool, it will easily cut through the nut even is it a small unit. You can cover the tank but that shouldn't be a problem if you cut facing the other way. After you use it you'll be trying to figure a way to get one for yourself

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
a plasma is a awesome tool, it will easily cut through the nut even is it a small unit. You can cover the tank but that shouldn't be a problem if you cut facing the other way. After you use it you'll be trying to figure a way to get one for yourself

That sounds good. I don't know if I can cut facing the other way as the plasma torch may not fit between the tank and frame to cut outward. Worst case scenario I have to drop the tank. His machine is small but it runs on 220 so it's not really small. My experience with plasmas is pretty limited, I used one a few times back in high school shop class, but other than that, I don't have much experience.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I already tried that, these bolts must be hardened or something, ate 2 cutoff wheels before I even got halfway though one bolt.
Maybe they are stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor