Removing smog pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
quick question:

Is it legal to remove the smog pump off a stock engine? Will DMV notice next time I go through inspection? As long as the cat is warmed up and cleaning my exhaust good enough, then the smog punp being removed won't matter, right? I live in Delaware btw.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
My friend has a 5.0 mustang with smog pump delete and he passed a emissions test but just barely. I would leave it and just drive the car or move to better state :p

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
There is basically no performance benefit to removing it.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It is always illegal to remove or disable any low emission part under federal law in all 50 states. Removing the smog pump won't effect the computer, but it will reduce catalytic converter operation. The smog pump injects air into the cat converter to create a lean condition for the catalyst.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The system was designed to heat the cat on cold start ups. Modern cats do not require this.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As with all older emissions BS, it's better to just leave it alone if it still works. If for some reason it's hindering the performance in a noticible way, either remove it if your state is pretty relaxed on Emission laws (Iowa for example doesn't have so much as a visual inspection) or if you live in a crappy part of the world, replace it

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I think I've removed or cut the belt on every single gm I've owned that came with one. Most of these cars had exhaust done as well. We haven't had emission testing here in like 20 years. In hindsight, on a stock motor with cats still I'd just leave it functioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor