removing the dash bezel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevo187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2017
memph 10
this may be a stoopid question, but im new here so bear with me. i am needing help removing the passenger side woodgrain piece that is attached to the dash just above the glove box. i dont have to remove the entire dash do i? please tell me i dont! this is a pic of what im talking about, please help
s-l1600.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Some have plastic tabs and some have spring steel type clips. If you have the plastic tabs it generally pulls off fairly easy. The spring steel clips take a little more care but I've pulled quite a few of each and have never had to remove the dash. I'll see if I have pics of the back side of one...

oh and welcome to the site...consider posting up an introduction and maybe include a couple of pics of what your working on.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kevo187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2017
memph 10
Some have plastic tabs and some have spring steel type clips. If you have the plastic tabs it generally pulls off fairly easy. The spring steel clips take a little more care but I've pulled quite a few of each and have never had to remove the dash. I'll see if I have pics of the back side of one...
that would be great, thanks

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Okay no pics on hand but I pulled an insert out and took a pic. As luck would have it this one has both types...upper held on with the spring steel clips (2 in the center) the rest held on by the plastic tabs...

RDypdO.jpg

One upper clip missing on this one...

yJThO4.jpg

and the one end...

qpLzpZ.jpg

on the left hand side the vent bezel housing has raised tabs that hold that side in...

Hope this helps.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

kevo187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2017
memph 10
Okay no pics on hand but I pulled an insert out and took a pic. As luck would have it this one has both types...upper held on with the spring steel clips (2 in the center) the rest held on by the plastic tabs...

RDypdO.jpg

One upper clip missing on this one...

yJThO4.jpg

and the one end...

qpLzpZ.jpg

on the left hand side the vent bezel housing has raised tabs that hold that side in...

Hope this helps.
so just pry that boy off?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
so just pry that boy off?

That's how I've done it...never used a tool though...just my hands. I pivot the vents and and get my fingers in and carefully pull, once you get an end going you can get behind it a little better. If it seems tough to pull off chances are it has the steel clips. Steady pressure with both hands in the center will help.

I did snap one right in the middle once but it was pretty brittle. I've pulled a dozen or more and have only broke one. The spring steel clips will give enough to remove it...steady pressure.

Reactions: 2 users

kevo187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2017
memph 10
That's how I've done it...never used a tool though...just my hands. I pivot the vents and and get my fingers in and carefully pull, once you get an end going you can get behind it a little better. If it seems tough to pull off chances are it has the steel clips. Steady pressure with both hands in the center will help.

I did snap one right in the middle once but it was pretty brittle. I've pulled a dozen or more and have only broke one. The spring steel clips will give enough to remove it...steady pressure.
i really appreciate the wisdom bro!!!

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
if you have the metal clips (86-88), I drop the glove box down by unscrewing the cable and go up behind the dash, turn the spring clip so it lines up with the "slot" in the back of the padding behind the dash (I believe its usually vertical).. GENTLY pull the plate off. The difficult side is the far right where the vent is, you may have to pry alittle to free the plastic tabs. DONT PRY AGAINST THE DASH.
Go slow and take your time, you should have any problems..

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
if you have the metal clips (86-88), I drop the glove box down by unscrewing the cable and go up behind the dash, turn the spring clip so it lines up with the "slot" in the back of the padding behind the dash (I believe its usually vertical).. GENTLY pull the plate off. The difficult side is the far right where the vent is, you may have to pry alittle to free the plastic tabs. DONT PRY AGAINST THE DASH.
Go slow and take your time, you should have any problems..

Interesting I have to admit I've never tried it that way....may have to on the next one. I find that the barbs on the clips don't let it turn all that well in the panel...but I'll certainly try on the next one I pull. I've found the clips run vertical and the slots in the dash run horizontal..so a quarter turn or so should about do it.

km00359_6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor