removing varnish from fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I found a guy parting out a 87 T-type today on craigslist. Called him up on the fuel tank for my LS1 Swap, I also tried to get the 8.5 10 bolt but he had sold it earlier this morning...Anyways I pulled the tank for my swap but it didn't have the sending unit, the hole was covered though and after looking inside carefully it it only has a varnish build up on the bottom from the old gas. Now i did a bit of research and found a variety of ways to get it out ie: acetone, chains or gravel in the tank and shaking it,getting it boiled out at a radiator shop etc etc. The varnish doesn't seem to be stuck in on the metal portions i tried spraying a bit of brake clean and it broke it up the varnish on the plastic baffles though. I don't want to damage the baffles and it doesn't have any rust inside or out. It has about a half gallon of the old gas how would you guys get it out and cleaned?? ANY IDEAS?? :D

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
85GPLef41 said:
I found a guy parting out a 87 T-type today on craigslist. Called him up on the fuel tank for my LS1 Swap, I also tried to get the 8.5 10 bolt but he had sold it earlier this morning...Anyways I pulled the tank for my swap but it didn't have the sending unit, the hole was covered though and after looking inside carefully it it only has a varnish build up on the bottom from the old gas. Now i did a bit of research and found a variety of ways to get it out ie: acetone, chains or gravel in the tank and shaking it,getting it boiled out at a radiator shop etc etc. The varnish doesn't seem to be stuck in on the metal portions i tried spraying a bit of brake clean and it broke it up the varnish on the plastic baffles though. I don't want to damage the baffles and it doesn't have any rust inside or out. It has about a half gallon of the old gas how would you guys get it out and cleaned?? ANY IDEAS?? :D
I would drain the old gas....add some seafoam (3-4oz) and about a gallon of good clean premium gas (preferably non ethanol)...seal it up and let it soak for a few days....shake it once in a while to move it around....then drain it out. Good gas and seafoam will break it down and liquify it and allow it to drain out. I have heard that setting an unsealed tank out in the cold (below 20f) for a day or so will make the varnish become brittle and flake off....but never tried it...doesnt get that cold here.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I would drain the old gas....add some seafoam (3-4oz) and about a gallon of good clean premium gas (preferably non ethanol)...seal it up and let it soak for a few days....shake it once in a while to move it around....then drain it out. Good gas and seafoam will break it down and liquify it and allow it to drain out. I have heard that setting an unsealed tank out in the cold (below 20f) for a day or so will make the varnish become brittle and flake off....but never tried it...doesnt get that cold here.[/quote]

Thanks i'm going to give it a try..Lucky you it hasn't been too warm lately here sun is out but cold, that and i'm getting over a cold... :| I tried draining out the old gas but now matter which way i turned it over it wouldn't come out either from the fule pump hole or the filler neck.. I'm going to try to suck it out with a vacuum pump..

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
:rofl: i too have done "the gas tank grind and hump" lol you can get most of it out the filler tube, but theres always that last little bit that stays in there :) boogie on man!!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I picked up a vacuum pump from MAC tools that i plan on using now! :mrgreen: I'm going to go buy the seafoam tomorrow and celan it out will post before and after pics.. Whenever i get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor