replaced tach, still doing same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
1979 Olds, original tach was reading 500 rpms high at times. Does go to zero when key is turned on. Then when engine starts, rpms still go about 500 too high and
then becomes even more inaccurate at times. The needle does NOT sweep and swing.

Someone mentioned a ground issue but what ground is there to the tach?

Also I did try to solder a wire between the 8 and center contact to do away with the red plastic switch. See pic
tachwire.jpg

I replaced the original tach with a new tach which still has the red plastic switch, and it is behaving the same way as the original.

Where would there be a ground issue????????

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you removed the cap for the coil to make sure all the wires are good and in place?

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I had issues with mine. I by passed the tach filter and that rectified the issue. I have 6 tach filters that I collected over the years. All except one gave gone open.

Reactions: 2 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not sure what a tach filter is, nor do I know where to find it if my 79 Olds has one.

Can someone please point me to the directions in finding it and how to bypass it?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Have you removed the cap for the coil to make sure all the wires are good and in place?

I haven't done this, when I don't see the correlation between the two..........can you explain why this would be a possible source?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
It will be a capacitor, on the tachometer lead, screwed to the firewall, between the distributor and the bulkhead connector.

Ahhhhhhhh I'll check first thing tomorrow and see if I can find it. Thank you....hope you're having a blessed Easter.

Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I believe THIS is the tach filter, correct me if I am wrong..........I cleaned contacts and jiggled wires, no difference. Are these available or can I wire from
the tach lead off the distributor right into the wire going into the firewall?????
tachfilter1.jpg
tachfilter2.jpg
tachfilter3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor