replaced tach, still doing same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
From the tach itself. I thought I had everything tight. It was up under the dash and i looked past it the whole time. As soon as i secured it everything was fine.

Well I'll check and see if there is a connection from the tach wire going in thru the firewall to a ground.

Thanks for the lead..........and reply

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I would try lube for the speedo. I have ran the red and yellow coil on Olds but not with a tach. I would pick up a used factory HEI and maybe swap the whole distributor in, it very well could be the issue.

I disconnected the cable at the cruise control and lubed both ends with some light oil while the cable end being higher than the tail
hoping gravity would help pull th elight oil down in to the cable housing.

The cable does fine when less than 50 but then seems to get a tick in it and i can see when I hear the tick, the
cable then jumps like it's binding and then released. May just pull the cable out of the casing and see if there is
a bad spot.

The car sat for 25 years and maybe some of the grease got hard in the casing, allowing it to turn but not as freely as it should.

All assumptions on my part here until I get to work on it again.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I disconnected the cable at the cruise control and lubed both ends with some light oil while the cable end being higher than the tail
hoping gravity would help pull th elight oil down in to the cable housing.

The cable does fine when less than 50 but then seems to get a tick in it and i can see when I hear the tick, the
cable then jumps like it's binding and then released. May just pull the cable out of the casing and see if there is
a bad spot.

The car sat for 25 years and maybe some of the grease got hard in the casing, allowing it to turn but not as freely as it should.

All assumptions on my part here until I get to work on it again.
Years ago (must be decades now) I remember the resto companies selling a grease adapter for the threaded side of the speedo cable to grease the whole thing. I regret never getting one & haven't been able to find one.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Greasing the cable is easy. Remove it from the sheath, clean well, clean inside of sheath, put some grease in a sandwich bag, put the cable through the top of the bag, through the grease, and poke it out a bottom corner of the bag. Reinstall by pushing the cable through the grease bag and feed back into sheath as you go.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Can any of you fellas tell me how i can hook this up outside of the cluster? Trying to wire it temporarily under the hood while i time and tune my engine. Thanks fellas.

Attachments

• 20200526_024746.jpg
    20200526_024746.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • 20200526_024754.jpg
    20200526_024754.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor