Replaced Tach, still reading high, do I need a TACH FILTER installed? And where does it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Odd thing is, I removed my dash, managed to get all the gauges working, I put the gauge cluster in without fastners and the tach reads correct.
It zeros out at key on and the idle rpm is right and a few blips of the throttle and the tach reads and returns as it should.

I fasten the gauge cluster in and start the car and the tach begins to add rpms as the original one did. So, would a TACH FILTER
help? I've never used nor even knew of such a device but it seems I am out of ideas.........and for less than $10 is it worthwhile to
buy and install or do my problems lie elsewhere?

This is the part I am considering...........thoughts and ideas please................

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
When I required a tach filter, my tach was Jumping around... not just reading High. This was from the HEI Ignition System, and that glowshift filter did the trick for me..

Strictly reading high tho, I seem to recall a thread here about that in Chevy's when I was having my issue, but his was just reading high, not a jumpy tach, so I moved on.

-Gonz

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Yes it's not jumping liek with voltage spikes........it just doesn't keep accurate rpms..........
I soldered a jump wire on one tach and then I used one of the OE spring clips on the other
and both tachs do the same thing. If the cluster is just setting in the pod hole, the tach works.
Fasten it and the tach reads faster than what it should.........I cleaned all contacts and posts
and strips of copper, unless it is something in the circuit board I am stumped................

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor