replacement control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
has anyone ever tried TrueDrive control arms. replacing my upper and lower control arm on a daily drive. using the opportunity as a way of getting new bushing and ball joins. it has a sale price of 110.99 but it does have a high rating .
1664153857714.png

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
While the price may be 'good', one has to ask themselves "how can they do that & make a profit?".

When 'new' parts are that cheap (including the arm itself), the supporting parts (bushings/BJ's) are likely cheap, cheap stuff. They might be better than worn stuff currently on the car but how long w/those parts last?

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wait... $110 for ALL FOUR? I'd be a little wary of that. If it was on sale for $220-250 per set, that might be something. Smells fishy. I could be wrong about this. It would certainly be a win if true and they're not junk. But that's dirt cheap for what I consider some critical parts.

You should be searching for the GM (or equivalent) part numbers of 19416902/19416899 for the uppers (Fits S10 too, so still available from GM for $342.91 list price but can be had for around 420.00 per pair!!! Yikes), 14075337/14075338 for the lowers. The lowers were the latest numbers before getting discontinued from GM in 2008).

Those old school factory units and earlier GM over the counter replacements were usually dip painted and not 100%, either. The last bit around the ball joint area was not painted as that's where the dip process stopped. But this is one area of many where different factories did different things at different times. Nothing was absolute about how these cars were built over the years.

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Google them or their mfgr and check to see from where they are sourced. USA/CANADA is best, Taiwan is good/decent, Australia is good, South Korea even hits the map for quality BUT, anything described as being from the PROC needs to be seriously considered suspect. Before the line up of objectors gets too long, I will concede that in certain respects some products coming from there can and will be quality built. BUT, against that is an awful lot of objectionable ccr*p that gets made there and brought over here for dumping.. The key thing here is CAVEAT EMPTOR; in english Buyer Beware!.

Nick

• Agree

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Change the lower ball joints to known high quality ones and you might have a good value there.

Merlin1952

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern N.C.
So what is everyone’s recommendation for a reasonably priced decent quality set of replacement control arms? Both factory style and/or tubular.

Nov 4, 2012
I think four really good street ball joints can be that much themselves.
I've spent more than that on mediocre quality ball joints.

So what is everyone’s recommendation for a reasonably priced decent quality set of replacement control arms? Both factory style and/or tubular.
Reasonably priced and decent quality have nearly become mutually exclusive anymore. For stock style ones I'd go with Moog through RockAuto for around $250-260 last I checked. Have to get them for an S10 as they don't technically have G Body lowers. They are the same except the S10 uses 1/2" bolts vs the smaller metric bolt that the G Bodies use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor