Replacement radiators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So, the OEM rad on the '78 is nearing the end of it's days. Gunked up inside, corrosion and scale on the tanks etc etc. As it looks to be original to the car (260 V8) 2 row core, No A/c. I'd like to replace it with a bit more capacity as the end game is more cubes with the motor upgrade. There seems to be about half a million companies make a Chinese copy of the original out of aluminum with plastic tanks. Even the HD versions are a single row, albeit listed at 1" wide. I can get Spectra Premium locally for short $$, but what've you guys used that fits the stock mounts, hooks up like stock and handles the heat of a V8 auto combo with no complaints?
Oh, the $$$$ polished aluminum show car version is not an option budget wise, and shiny, shiny bling bling doesn't make my pants tight....form follows function in my world.:D

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
If the end caps are still good take it to a rad shop and get it re-corded an they can add an extra row of tubes. Normally it's cheaper or about same price as a new rad. Atleast that way you know what you have.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I bought a Griffin "custom fit" radiator for my Malibu and it didnt fit well. The rubber saddles didnt fit right over the tanks at all. I hacked up a few sets trying to make them fit and in the end I bought a 4 row copper/brass to replace it. It wasnt cheap though.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The alum/plastic should be fine. Consider that the aluminum dissipates heat better than the old copper/brass style (especially when they're all corroded/scaly) and that new cars run hotter than our old ones do.

I have read that a 2 row alum/plastic actually has more cooling surface than the old style 4 row

Last time I looked into having a 70s era copper/brass radiator re-cored, it was more than the copper/brass replacement....although the tanks seemed thinner. Never had an issue with the "new" one.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought a Champion 3 row for my 86' Regal it fit perfectly as a replacement and should keep the future engine cool. I also prefer a welded all aluminum radiator over one with plastic tanks.
With my Monte I have a Griffen Dominator which works well cooling the big block.
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I bought a Champion 3 row for my 86' Regal it fit perfectly as a replacement and should keep the future engine cool. I also prefer a welded all aluminum radiator over one with plastic tanks.
With my Monte I have a Griffen Dominator which works well cooling the big block.
View attachment 73910 View attachment 73911
Remember the part number for that rad in your regal?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Remember the part number for that rad in your regal?
The Regal has a Champion CC162 for the 3 core.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=222462262994
They also have a 2 row EC162 and 4 row MC162, I had Jegs price match the Ebay price to get it faster.
The radiators do have larger outlets that require a different radiator hoses here are the part numbers I used which are both made by Dayco upper hose 70548 and lower hose 70936 but these are for a Olds engine for another engine just look up older A body cars for hoses.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor