Replacement steering box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Whats a good replacement steering box my GN build is in need of a new box? Any of the aftermarket boxes any good?

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
6togo said:
Whats a good replacement steering box my GN build is in need of a new box? Any of the aftermarket boxes any good?

I haven't done it yet, but many people use stock camaro ones that have a little better replacement. Fewer turns lock to lock- or go aftermarket and you can get a close ratio box but the price goes up. I can not suggest one cause I have not done any upgrades to my steering yet

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Here's the box I run

Called them and said I wanted one for a 92 trans am ws6. It's been grat. Nice and tight and close ratio

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
GT_80 said:
6togo said:

I haven't done it yet, but many people use stock camaro ones that have a little better replacement. Fewer turns lock to lock- or go aftermarket and you can get a close ratio box but the price goes up. I can not suggest one cause I have not done any upgrades to my steering yet

actually the F body ones have the same ratio, the less lock to lock is from the stops. The Z box from the F body is the one to upgrade to. As far as ratios go if you get anything less than the 12 to 1 ratio it makes the car challenging to drive on the highway, one little twitch and you have done a lane change.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Last months Hot Rod Magazine had an article about using a '96-'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. It's essentially the same Saginaw 800 series box using the quick 12.7:1 ratio. I think it would be an alternative to finding the elusive F-body quick ratio box and gives you more options when you're junkyard hunting. Of course you'll need to use a pitman arm from an 800 equipped G-body car.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Longroof79 said:
Last months Hot Rod Magazine had an article about using a '96-'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. It's essentially the same Saginaw 800 series box using the quick 12.7:1 ratio. I think it would be an alternative to finding the elusive F-body quick ratio box and gives you more options when you're junkyard hunting. Of course you'll need to use a pitman arm from an 800 equipped G-body car.

I have seen that too!

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
they are all generic listings. my box i ordered also says to be the part # for the grand national. they are all the correct ratio and pressure but you may or may not get the interal stops etc. I chose to get the lares box through advance instead of the A1 cardone because I actually talked to lares on the phone and verified my info. it was around $160 but i feel it was worth it as what showed up was a very high quality finished piece.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Anubis said:
I've read several posts on other forums that you can buy a new VIN 9 G body box from Advance auto for $100 and some change. Much better option vs. an F body box... If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Here's some more specific info from Oldspower.com

Check ACDelco #36-0516561, GM p/n 88991244 (2.5 turn lock/lock) from Rockauto.com for $99.79 + $25 core charge. That's before saving the 5% discount and shipping.

It's $161.04 to your door from GMpartsdirect.com. A few years ago, this thing listed for $222.

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread. ... g+gear+box

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Anubis said:
I've read several posts on other forums that you can buy a new VIN 9 G body box from Advance auto for $100 and some change. Much better option vs. an F body box... If I can find the link, I'll post it.

the F body Z steering box gives you a heavier feel on the steering wheel which I find much better at highway speeds than the G body box. The only draw back is a wider circle but that can be changed with modifying the stops. I don't mind the wider u turn cause I have a F body 36mm bar and the 255 50 17 tires will rub the bar with a G body box. If I do need to make a quicker u turn my right foot can help with that.. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor