1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing a g body windshield

Discussion in 'Restoration and Restification' started by Csilvy2000, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Csilvy2000

Csilvy2000 Greasemonkey

How hard is it to remove the old windshield and put in a new one? Should I leave to the pros?

2. pontiacgp

pontiacgp Rocket Powered Basset Hound

you don't save much doing it by yourself. I got quoted 160 for the windsheild and 190 with installation and that's in Canada so you won't be paying that price..I did have my windshield out for that price. I had just painted the car

3. Bonnewagon

Bonnewagon Comic Book Super Hero

Agree, let the pro's do it. But if you have a replacement handy, then it pays to do it yourself. Getting a broken one out is easy, no need to be careful. But getting a good one out without ruining it is usually an ordeal. Even if a shop does it I would go over it with some GOOD marine caulking like BOATLIFE.

4. Csilvy2000

Csilvy2000 Greasemonkey

I was quoted 240 dollars by two local shops.

5. lsx80monte

lsx80monte Greasemonkey

Pulled my replacement windshield myself for $10 at a u pull it yard. They had a special all glass $10 a piece. It just took a knife and some patience. Looked into doing it myself since my brother could get me the adhesive for free but decided it just wasnt worth the touble when a local shop only charged $75 to installing it for me.

6. pontiacgp

I'd check a few more places and find out how much if you remove your window

7. Longroof79

Longroof79 Comic Book Super Hero

It is difficult trying to remove one without cracking it. Especially if you don't possess the proper tools. I called up my local glass shop to try and get a quote for removing my windshield so I can repair some rust. They wouldn't accept the liability and the price that was quoted reflected a new windshield...which I now need anyway.
    I think they quoted me like $290.00 installed for a new PPG windshield. Being that I already have it removed, windshield frame cleaned, repaired, and primed...and will be painted prior to installation. I think at this point I'll buy a new one and install it myself.
    I know this had been discussed before, but I get several different views. What does everyone like to use as an adhesive?.
    I hear mostly urethane caulk. Some guys mention butyl tape. What's everyone's preference?

Mark, I love the subway scene...brings back memories. :)

8. Bonnewagon

Bonnewagon Comic Book Super Hero

Jack, you can almost smell the stale piss, right? :rofl: I removed the windshield from my Malibu wagon and saved it because it was perfect. I bought that oscillating tool from HF just for that job, figured the $20 cost was worth the glass. It cut the old sealer away nicely and quickly and won't hurt the glass if you hit it, then I went around it with piano wire, to get any stuff I missed, and that frees it up cleanly. I like to use the rolled up ribbon to set the glass on (is that butyl?) and then I smear LIFECAULK around all the edges for a permanent seal. I NEVER get a leak after all that.[​IMG]

9. pontiacgp

I used one of these to get the windshield out and it worked pretty well. I slid it between the window and ledge from the inside and cut the adhesive. It came out without breaking cause I wasn't using it again... :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

10. tc1959

tc1959 Comic Book Super Hero

I use one of these and my cordless sawzall cuts right through the urethane. No muss no fuss, No broken glass. 8)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.