Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 3 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Step One: Get a gun!
Step Two: Put the gun to your head. [I kid! NO don't kill yourself!]
Step Three: Great write up Jared. The Cutlass, however, has the infamous bolt holding the bottom of the antenna that the morons at the factory put in from the engine side through the inner fender. I could not even see with lights, mirrors, etc. the head of that bolt from above or below. Nor could I reach to feel it. Had they put it through from the outside, except for having to take the fender loose, it would have been a 10 minute deal after that. If you have any reason to pull the motor or [in my case] to completely replace the front suspension which with the wheel, spindle, upper/lower CAs, shock, spring, all out of the way, I could slide in there on my butt facing out and, surprise, there it is. But I still needed 2 wiggles and a like 9" extension in between to get on it. Mine is an '87. Not sure if that means it was, um, "extra special?"

Note: If all the AC stuff is out of the way, you might be able to lay down from the front on top in beside the engine and get your head down far enough to see that bolt but I did not try that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I would contemplate putting a power antennae back on my car (the original wasn't there, but it had one - a crappy one was put on some time in the past) if I could find one.

Apparently, they're freakin rare.

-Gonz

Spud67

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2020
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am from southern Saskatchewan, Canada and I am the second owner of a 1986 Olds Cutlass Salon since I bought it in 1990. Loaded with all options available for that year including T-roof.

I am finally getting around to fixing the power antenna. I have searched the site and found a few posts about power antenna replacements and see others have some across the same issue I am now having.

The fender is opened up and I can get to the motor but as this and other posts have mentioned, some moron on the design team or at the factory decided to mount the antenna motor to the inner fender from the engine compartment side.

Has anyone been able to get to this bolt at all without having to tear apart the entire passenger side of the engine compartment?

I know this is an old thread about this situation but any help would be appreciated. At least the power antenna is broken in the up position so I can at least receive radio stations.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor