CUTLASS Replacing Door locks/linkage rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather b

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2021
Ok. So I successfully removed both panels and paper and insulation with no damage. Go the door locks out BUT I have found the drivers side has a broken “linkage rod”. Let’s pretend that’s the name of it until someone corrects me. Anywho, I have NO clue how I’m supposed to access that to replace. I’ve added a couple photos to show this part that does not yet have a proper name in my brain

Attachments

• 36D65CED-2692-44CE-B744-27ECDEEE0CF5.jpeg
    36D65CED-2692-44CE-B744-27ECDEEE0CF5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • 8D8661ED-DEE9-4956-9B6B-17C038F96F7B.jpeg
    8D8661ED-DEE9-4956-9B6B-17C038F96F7B.jpeg
    967.9 KB · Views: 132

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 3 users

Heather b

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2021
First you'll need one of these to replace the broken one: Door Lock Rod Clip
https://www.autozone.com/collision-.../p/dorman-door-lock-rod-clip-75455/103038_0_0

The clip goes on and off like the one in this video (skip right to minute 3:56)

Hutch
Awesome. Thanks for the link to the part. Still not quite sure how to get the old one off and new one on though. (I did watch the video) just not quite sure how to apply his help to my issue. I don’t know how I’m supposed to get my hands + tools in there, if that makes sense.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The nylon clip is what appears to be broken.

GM part number 9815325, superseded to new part number 16607593.

You can find them aftermarket at nearly any auto parts store. You don't even want to know GM's list price. Sheesh! You can pinch the tip of the piece still in the lock and pop it out, and push the clip off the rod piece if you can reach it. And no, it's not a fun job. If it were in one piece, you'd unclip the piece holding onto the rod length and then you can pull the rod out. Then the clip would be able to pop out of the lock cylinder arm. Simple concept, but as you say, it's sorta tough to work around in there.

They make a LH and a RH clip, but it doesn't matter much here in that the rod clip can be either one and still work. GM truck tailgates use this rod clip too and takes a RH and LH, but the side door lock rod can take either of them.

1638302615519.jpeg

If you're in no hurry, here's some new GM clips in a pack of 3 for 9 bucks plus any tax. That's 3 bucks each. Not bad.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The plastic part on the linkage rod clip that is on the side of the rod will just pop off, hold the rod with your second finger and thumb and pull the yellow part toward you with your first finger. Will take a little force but should just pop off.

Destroy the old clip with a pair of pliers and it will just fall out.

The new clip pushes in the lever on the lock cylinder from the front, insert the end of the rod in the hole also from the front side of the lock and pivot the clip till it is around the linkage rod. Will take a bit of force but you should be able to squeeze the rod and clip together with 2 fingers and the thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor