Replacing my 2 DDs w/ 81 Chevy Malibu Special Iraqi Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
I have both my car, and my girlfriend's car up for sale. We've moved into a house (renting it) so both cars are for sale:

1. 2000 Audi TT Quattro 1.8 T

2. 2000 Dodge Intrepid

... and this is what's replacing both of them:

1981 Chevy Malibu LS (4door) Special "Iraqi Edition"

331husk.jpg
zsobh1.jpg

2qk7yc2.jpg
2pydsuv.jpg

In 1981, General Motors of Canada in Oshawa produced a special order of 25,500 4-door Malibu sedans for Saddam Hussein's Iraqi government. These special-order Malibus carried the unusual combination of GM's 110 hp (3.8 L) V6 engine mated to 3-speed transmission with a unique on-the-floor stick shifter (yes, it's a 3 speed standard transmission). All of the cars were equipped with air conditioning, heavy duty cooling systems, AM/FM cassette decks, front bench seats, 200 km/h speedometers, tough tweed and vinyl upholstery and 14-inch (360 mm) stamped steel wheels with "baby moon" hubcaps. However, only 13,000 units ever made it to Iraq; the remaining balance of about 12,500 additional Malibus either sitting on a dock in Halifax or awaiting port shipment in Oshawa, where they were built. Later speculation was that the Iraqis were actually forced to back out for financial reasons, due to their escalating hostilities with Iran requiring the immediate diversion of funds to support the Iraqi war effort.

Pennsy86Montessguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2010
Eastern Penn's Woods
Re: Replacing my 2 DDs w/ 81 Chevy Malibu Special Iraqi Edit

That's pretty interesting. Where did you come across this vehicle at?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny

Awesome! Looks to be good shape.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada

That car was for sale locally here in Ontario on Kijiji. I think it was somewhere in the Ottawa area, if I remember correctly. Its funny, I have one of these that I tried to sell a couple of months ago, for less than the asking price for this car, along with a bunch of spare parts, and couldn't get any serious interest. Oh well, I'm going to do some repairs on it, and try again in the spring.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

I had a blue '81 4 door some years ago and it was a surprisingly solid car compared to a lot of the 2 doors. I loved the fact that there was no door rattle or sagging hinges. Swapped out the Chevy 3.8 for a 327 at the time.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

Pennsy86Montessguy said:
That's pretty interesting. Where did you come across this vehicle at?
Actually, clean8485 was partially correct.

The car was on Kijiji, I did a search just to get a feel of what's out there, with a 1000km radius. Found the ad for this 81 Malibu, located at Base Petawawa, he was asking $1500. So I emailed him, asking if he was in a hurry to sell the car.

He called me back right away, and left a seriously detailed message about the car and that he's dropping the price by $500.

That made me switch from "just browsing" to "how can I get this car" ... the drive up there and back, was 6 hours 44 minutes, each way (as per google maps) but it took longer for stopovers etc..

Kinda fun driving the 3 speed on-the-floor shifter in a 4 door car. Reverse gear is where first gear normally is!!! Weird, but I got used to it.

The car really is in great shape. No interior rattle and no sagging doors. The doors close like on a new car. It's solid and drives smooth. Also has brand new tires on it. Interior is a bit faded (tan) especially the front door panels, but I will either dye them or cover them with vinyl. The front bench seat is tweed, from factory, and looks absolutely brand new.

Other plans... bodywork, black paint, 17" Boss wheels staggered, and as time/money permits, 383 stroker SBC and 5 or 6 speed transmission, posi rear end with disc brakes. And 2 chrome tailpipes out the back. I seen one like that before... and drooled all over the ground looking at it. Now I get to make my own 4 door muscle car :mrgreen:

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california

That's a great find, i want a manual car so bad.. post up some interior pics when you have a chance..

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il

whats yer plans motor wise? you gonna beef up the trans and the rear? GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE! :D

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I love it! A friend of mine had an Iraqi taxi in high school that had a '79 front clip on it from a previous owner, neat cars. Clean8485, if I had the funds and the space to do 2 project cars I'd be all over yours. I thought it would be cool to mate a GN turbo V6 with the 3 speed manual (if that would even be possible) and make a kick *ss sleeper lol! Good luck with the build 454muscle, I'm jealous :)

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

Thanks for the comments guys and yes Beermonkey, the future plans for the motor are:

383 SBC (preferrably supercharged)
6 speed gear box
Detroit Locker rear end with disc brakes

Those mods ^^ however, may take a while :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor