Replacing steering column/attempted theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
Ok, so someone tried to steal my 78 malibu classic yesterday. Only reason I left it at home was because the battery was dead. So the poor amateur, try as he might, couldn't make off with it. He only managed to destroy all mechanisms within the steering column though. He didn't even think to try turning the ignition without the key, which would have worked thanks to an earlier unsuccessful attempt.

Anyway, I need to replace the guts of the steering column now. Will something like this work: http://tinyurl.com/lmusepq

I'll include a pic of the damage. He broke the steering wheel lock as well.
10842029_10152965461626584_6683924880703855991_o.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You might want to find a post '78 column, but pre-'82. The '78 column is a one year only deal, due to having a splined shaft versus a double D, or double flat end. You'll then need an intermediate shaft from a '79 or later G-body....or Jeep Cherokee to accommodate the later column.
The '82 + columns have the wiper switch on the stalk as opposed to having the switch on the dash.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
Do you think I'm going to have many more problems beyond the cosmetic?

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Gregc said:
Do you think I'm going to have many more problems beyond the cosmetic?
If your referring to the swap, I don't think so. It would easier too IMO. And the Jeep shaft is a nice upgrade by itself.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As William pointed out, it's a straight forward swap using a '79-'81 column and adding a Jeep Cherokee intermediate shaft.
If you go with a later '82+ column, it involves changing your wiper wiring to function off of the column stalk, plus using a later style wiper motor, in which case you'll need the pigtails (wiring plugs) from a later G-body to fit the later wiper motor.
In your case, you're better off finding a column suited to your year range. '79-'81 and the Cherokee shaft.
I wouldn't bother with the '78 column, unless you find a good one cheap.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Going with a '82 & newer colum, all you need to do to is swap out the lever switch for your original lever & pull the wiper harness out. Both wiper switch & non wiper switch type levers use the same type of bayonet type socket. Did it with a '86 column that was in my '81. Makes it an easier swap & no one would even know.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
Thanks for the input on this. I actually found a guy who does nothing but steering column repair out of his home. He did everything for me (parts and labor) for $125 in less than 24 hours. Looks like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor