Replacing Stock suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
I figure it is time to replace the 25 year old shocks and springs and make the car handle a bit better. I want to get eibrach springs, and just replace the factory shocks.

Where can i buy factory spec shocks? What is different in drag race shocks and stock shocks? Summit has Summit brand shocks for 27 bucks a peice. This is going to be mostly a street car, but are drag race shocks ok for street use, or should i stick with stockers.

does anyone run eibrach springs in a v8 car? what is the ground clearence roughly?

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
If you want to stick with something like stock, just get some Monroes at Sears.

bordercutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2008
Lloydminster Alberta/Saskatchewan
I just did the upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, shocks & brake hoses on my '85 and I went all AC Delco. Handling has improved dramatically, especially after a wheel alignment. Only con is that my neighbour works at the parts store, so I got everything at cost :D . It would have cost alot more if I paid over the counter prices.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
bordercutlass said:
I just did the upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, shocks & brake hoses on my '85 and I went all AC Delco. Handling has improved dramatically, especially after a wheel alignment. Only con is that my neighbour works at the parts store, so I got everything at cost :D . It would have cost alot more if I paid over the counter prices.

so how much would that have costed regular price?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Drag shocks will not work with the stiff Eibach springs. I used Monroe Gas-Matic shocks on my car, and they work OK. However, I would prefer Koni or Bilstein shocks instead if I had the cash. Remember that the springs and shocks need to compliment each other as the purpose of the shock is to dampen the oscillations of the spring. So, with a stronger spring, the shock must also be stronger to counter act the forces of the spring.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
eibrach springs suggest they they are compatable without replacing factory shocks. So can I find something a little better then factory without spending more than the price i budgeted for the drag shocks of 25 dollars a peice?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
GR-2's are basically KYB's stock replacement shocks. The better ones are the Gas-A-Just shocks which let you set the firmness. I have seen GR-2's used with lowering springs and they worked ok on the 1G DSM and Mustang I saw them on.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
^^ x2, you need adjustable shocks to set the right dampening. If the springs are a bit stiffer then you wouldn't want the same old shocks - they would be too soft and your car would go up and down until it levels itself out over bumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor