OLDS Repro part review challenge- Know your G-body Cutlass parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Take the Oldsmobile parts challenge- Winner to get 25 Iranian Rial…….(but must travel to Iran to receive the grand prize)

Apparently there is a reproduction Oldsmobile front emblem on the scene nowadays. GM part number 22510798. Don't know how long it's been around, G-body Parts sells them for $50. Not sure if the repros are available anywhere else.

The claim: "Dead on exact match, with modern day plastic and chroming. Black paint is also correct."

The challenge? Is this repro emblem dead on exact match? Why or why not?

Gbodyparts Olds bumper emblem 1.jpg

Gbodyparts Olds bumper emblem.jpg

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Isnt the m supposed to be blacked out in the voids? Not open?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Isnt the m supposed to be blacked out in the voids? Not open?
This sir, it correct. While it appears to be a nice emblem otherwise, the fact that EVERY 22510798 emblem had a solid back "M".

And to get a little snarky with it, there was no adhesive tape on them either. They were held on to the bumper with light blue spring clips.

To mix it up a little, the same front emblem was used on 78-84 cars on the trunklid as well. They simply snipped the pegs off and put the adhesive sticky tape on the back. Again, solid "m" backing. part number 555735. I guess technically, the earlier trunklid emblem came first so I guess it's more correct to say they took off the adhesive and added the alignment pins to the rear trunk emblem and gave it a new number.

In 1985, they used the same front emblem, but the rear emblem got a new look. The "M" had open legs! Additionally, the sharp, protruding edges of the raised boss areas of the emblem were more flattened and muted on this new trunk emblem, part number 2000969.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GM 555735 trunk emblem:

555735 trunk emblem.jpg

Identical to the 22510798 with the exception of no alignment pins and the addition of double sticky mounting tape.

GM 20000969 trunk emblem:

20000969 trunk emblem.jpg

Note the protrusion of the emblem is not as bold/pronounced as the previous version and the open legs. It appears to be a bit smoother and less raised.

the-more-you-know.gif

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
All that to say this. While the repro emblem looks great, it's that detail of the open "M" that was overlooked during design/production that keeps it from being a "dead on". Not going to complain, because if you don't have an emblem at all, this one will work. 99% of the general public wouldn't know it unless you told them, and I'm sure a few Olds people may miss that little caveat as well.

All this was for educational purposes

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would need a second pic of the repro, but, aside from the 'm', the repro appears to have a channel with black inlay on each letter? Or, is that just a funky reflection? The GM piece is definitively chrome; the repro is suspect.
Not that I won, but I think you know what you can do with your Iranian Rial...... :twisted:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's just a reflection. I'd be more worried about how long it would last weather-wise and car-washing-wise.

Overall, it doesn't seem like bad quality at a glance. But at $50 a pop, you can still find "dead on exact" NOS GM ones for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor