Reproduction Dash Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Spotted this in the Super Chevy that showed up in the mailbox today. Wow! $1200 for ABS! In 1992 I could have bought a NIB GM dash at the dealer for only $600. Too rich for my blood back then, but cheap now by comparison. I'd be interested to hear a review on this product when somebody on the Forum buys one.
Repro Dash.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The difference is, if it's made with today's better plastics and manufacturing practices, it should actually be of better quality than the originals.
I like the fact that they've addressed the old single speaker mount in the centre, and added mounts for more speakers.
I too would be interested in hearing member feedback from anyone that buys one.
Now if they'd just make one for the Cutlass...

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Donovan, I hope you are right about it beeing made of better materials. My daily driver is a 2008 Sierra that I take really good care of and the dash is cracked in three places. I know that Dodge Rams from the early to mid 2000's had bad cracking problems. For $1200 it should fit great and hold up great.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I saw that dash too, I think it looks great. If I didn't have a GP dash I would actually buy this.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I also saw that and it sure looks interesting. Hope someone has installed it and will give a review

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It looks nice but I think for $1300 it should at least be a complete dash so you don't have to worry about matching their color options.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
problem is it's solid abs plastic, the dashes in our cars are made with material to absorb contact by an occupant in a crash. The dash is not supposed to me modified so I don't know if that dash would pass a safety.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Personally, I don't like the idea of how they made AND I think the price is ridiculous to the point of unjustifiable.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with the 73-87 square body trucks, I've been around them since they were new. They had a metal skeleton, covered in foam, wrapped in a vinyl covering. They're also a good foot longer or so than a gbody dash, so surface area and materials and such isn't THAT much smaller than for a gbody.

They started those with abs dash caps, moved to urethane repops, and about a year or two after the urethanes were first reproduced made a correct vinyl skinned copy with the same mount tabs, speaker grilles, etc.

Pricing? Dash caps ran $50-$100, urethane were in the $180-225 range, and the correct factory style runs $299, less during sales.

$1300 is ridiculous and entirely unjustifiable. Unless they made like 10 and destroyed the molds.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Back in 1977 when GM designed the A/G body, ABS material technology was very similar to today's ABS resins. The biggest improvements came about with the polypropylene's ability to withstand fade and UV resistance. Remember the crappy chalky interior parts on the 70s cars? They also smelled like an armpit.

The slush / FIP process GM used to make the soft feel IP in the G body Cutlass was ahead of its time. Today only luxury cars get this process because it is more expensive. PVC resins for the skin have greatly improved compared to the hard vinyl used back then.

I would not put that crappy solid IP panel in my car and it is definitely overpriced. Somebody thought that the extra speaker openings were a good idea but I think they look awkward and goofy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor