Reproduction Hurst/Olds top plates and ash tray lids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They’re pretty proud of them at that price, that’s for sure.
😯

Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
The silver on the shifter plate should be gold but when it fades it looks silver. Ashtray cover looks odd, looks to have a silver bead but those pictures are not the best.
There was someone else making the shifter plate I think his name is Angelo.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There should be woodgrain under the letters.
I think that's a reflection under the left side lettering. But yeah, the chrome plating that should be there had some sort of an amber coating making them appear more goldish looking. I get that the silver is just a cheap workaround for the more correct look. You would think they'd at least try to do a chrome look paint or something.

But like everything else, if yours is trashed, and you need one, this may be a suitable alternative. I mean, NOS ones are far and few between. And way more than 150 bucks. At least if you had some of these, people in the know will be able to spot them in an instant.

Yeah, Angelo Valenti was making the top plates as well from a marble style pattern of gravoply that mimicked the original woodgrain. It's a laminated plastic engraving media that is used to make office signs and label tags for the most part. I know, I used to engrave gravoply working on a huge relabeling project at the nuke plant I worked at.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I couldn't remember Angelo's last name, that top plate looks very close to an original minus the gold and or amber coating but that can be done by taking a trip to a hobby shop.
Wasn't gbodyparts working on this about 10 years ago?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They'd been working on a lot of stuff since 10 years ago. I admire the effort, but it appears there was some settling for "close enough" going on.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Yes they have been working on a lot over the years just like the lighting rods. I wonder if they finally got licensed by Hurst.

2nd82H/O

Apprentice
May 24, 2010
I thought something was off too... then I think I found out why... they obviously used a real top plate to copy...i first thought the “knots” in the wood looked odd...looked closer ... those aren’t knots .. they look like 2 burn marks from a cigarette lighter... you can actually see the rings from the lighter..

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor