Reproduction Interior Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
One of my friends just got his '80 Malibu out of the bodyshop with a fresh coat of paint. The cars pretty clean. White with a blue cloth interior. Hes had it for at least 25 years.
He called me today to see if I knew anything about the reproduction plastic pieces that are being made now. To be honest I havent seen any up close. They look like they have a totally different grain compared to OEM but since Ive only seen them in photos I have no idea.
Hes looking at the rear panels. I think he wants to freshen up the fronts but they might just need a respray to look clean and maybe a set of new uppers. Im probably going to spray everything he gets. Anyone buy the rears ?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If they're anything like the package tray ends, they suck. Terrible grain, worse fit, and not even the same dimensions/shape of the originals.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
One of my friends just got his '80 Malibu out of the bodyshop with a fresh coat of paint. The cars pretty clean. White with a blue cloth interior. Hes had it for at least 25 years.
He called me today to see if I knew anything about the reproduction plastic pieces that are being made now. To be honest I havent seen any up close. They look like they have a totally different grain compared to OEM but since Ive only seen them in photos I have no idea.
Hes looking at the rear panels. I think he wants to freshen up the fronts but they might just need a respray to look clean and maybe a set of new uppers. Im probably going to spray everything he gets. Anyone buy the rears ?
Who is re-popping them? Are they even injection molded?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Dont have much info but I know Dixie sells everything hes looking at. Its the rear upper and lower pieces on the sides of the seat. I know I can call Dixie but I was hoping someone on the forum alreay bought a set.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I think the factory pieces were molded vinyl. Most repros today are vacuum-molded black styrene that cracks near a good sneeze.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know if this helps but I bought some windshield pillar covers in Feb of 21, that I think look good. The grain matches stock (at least I can't tell the difference.). They cost about $32.00 usd each and they arrived in about four days.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/

IMG_20220114_134335173[1].jpg
IMG_20220114_133741338[1].jpg
IMG_20220114_134051897_HDR[1].jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
M-m-max,

Do those seem to be in the OEM vinyl or plastic, or some other material? Are they painted, or solid color all the way through?

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I have the repop quarter window plastics for my Malibu. The grain isn’t in the same zip code as stock and they don’t fit particularly well, but I don’t have any and can’t find a factory set.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I don’t know about Malibu but I purchased rear panels from Dixie for my El Camino . What an expensive JOKE . They didn’t have all the mounting points , they weren’t even half as thick. I’d suggest to keep looking for originals

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor