resealing the a/c heater box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm reinstating this thread from the G-body Forum archives. It was originally posted by AxisG.

Here's the link to the original thread. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/sealing-up-the-a-c-box.11717/

I'm at the stage where I need to reseal my a/c box. I'm open to suggestions as to what effective product(s) people have used.

AxisG, could you find a product name for that electricians putty, or what it's referred to in the industry?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
This thread can be disregarded. I found what I was looking for. :banana:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And not gonna share Jack?
;)

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Donovan,
It's really nothing secretive. I thought I'd use a piece of high density foam pipe wrap to stuff the evaporator opening, and use some electricians duct seal/ putty, as AxisG suggested. . http://www.lowes.com/pd_13591-1781-DS-110___?productId=4595233&pl=1&Ntt=gb+electrical+duct+sealer

The heater core opening has foam rubber stuffed in there.

If I recall correctly, GM used a type of sealer that became hard and brittle. This stuff allegedly remains pliable, much like 3M strip caulk, which I used to reseal the halves of the HVAC box....good stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Duct seal works great, I have used it on many projects and it will remain pliable for years with excellent sealing capabilities.
I have a piece in my tool box I pull off of and it is probably 12+ years old and works like new.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Duct seal works great, I have used it on many projects and it will remain pliable for years with excellent sealing capabilities.
I have a piece in my tool box I pull off of and it is probably 12+ years old and works like new.
Thanks for your input on that. I certainly do intend on using it. I appreciate hearing that it's a good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor