Resistor in alternator wire???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Looking at the schematic for a tuff stuff alternator and it is showing that it needs a resistor in the small brown "Exciter" wire for the alternator. I'm trying to think way back to when I ripped my car apart and I do not remember removing a resistor at all. I looked in my gm factory manual and it does show a resistance wire on the schematic. Is it in the cluster? Is it somewhere else? Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_142928.jpg
    IMG_20200617_142928.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 449

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The resistor is generally used when there's no charge light used to energize, or excite the alternator. Do you recall having a charge light in one of your gauges? If not, you can always add an inline resistor in the brown excite wire.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
The resistor is generally used when there's no charge light used to energize, or excite the alternator. Do you recall having a charge light in one of your gauges? If not, you can always add an inline resistor in the brown excite wire.

I do not remember having a charge light but I could be wrong. Looking at the factory schematic some more it looks like it runs through all the other factory warning lights. It is the brown wire coming from the bulkhead connector at the firewall correct?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That resistor wire should be in the dash harness in place of the brown wire that would of ran from the bulk head to the cluster.

Reactions: 1 user

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
That resistor wire should be in the dash harness in place of the brown wire that would of ran from the bulk head to the cluster.

I normally have a pretty good understanding of electrical circuits but I have to apologise I'm still confused. So if I have the brown wire from the bulkhead going to the connector on the alternator is it going through the resistor? Does it go though the resistor wire then to the alternator? If memory serves me correctly this is how I ran my old gm alternator all those yrs ago. Thank again

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
In addition, I believe the factory harness also had a diode in the brown exciter wire (somewhere in IP harness). Further, 10SI and 12SI alternators are apparently extra susceptible to backfeeding through the brown exciter wire (thereby energizing the ignition switch when it should be off: resulting in motor be unable to shut off). This is common that enough Painless makes a kit for this situation. See: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30720

PS You can just use an everyday 20 cent diode rather than buying the $9 painless kit (plus S&H).

PPS I will look for schematic showing the diode.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I normally have a pretty good understanding of electrical circuits but I have to apologise I'm still confused. So if I have the brown wire from the bulkhead going to the connector on the alternator is it going through the resistor? Does it go though the resistor wire then to the alternator? If memory serves me correctly this is how I ran my old gm alternator all those yrs ago. Thank again
It'll be a brown-white stripe wire running from the bulk head (changes the circuit number from 25 to 130) to the ignition switch on the column, sharing the same spot as the orange wire for circuit 300 (both wires crimped together in the same terminal.)

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Is the crimped connection under the dash? Another dumb question, I know what the IP harness is but what does it stand for?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I went through similar debacle when I wired in cs130 alternator. I ended up bypassing original harness completely and ran from 12v run source. I chose to be redundant and put resistor parallel to a small idiot light I mounted close to aftermarket voltmeter. I read that the brown wire is a resistor type wire but I was afraid of frying alternator because I have read they are finicky

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor