Resto-Mod parts interchangeability. How swap-happy can I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hello GBF, I am new to the forum (less than 45 minutes). I own a 78 GMC Caballero and I would like to find/get a different style dash to install and also possibly other interior bits.
Will a complete dash from any similar year G-body fit?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
GMC and Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo are the same, 78-88. Center speaker or stereo still bolt in the same. Dash caps available for both speaker styles. Style changed slightly in 82, with an insert between the vents. 86-88 Monte and El Camino changed again, still bolts in. Sweep cluster and gages cluster interchange with a pin change on the gage plug. Search 'dash cap' from member 'Hafrod'. He did an involved cap install. Oh, and a Pontiac dash was installed in Mexican Monte Carlos.

For your next post, pictures and a story would be welcome. Check my signature (rotate to wide mode if viewing on a phone) for build links. T5 and TKO.

Reactions: 1 user

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I think all G-body dashes are interchangeable with the outer duct work and associated dash brackets.
I did a 83 GP dash, buckets and console with Olds Cutlass door panel swap into my 84 ElCo. Bulk head fuse block pin orientation changed around 83 ish so my external harness would not plug into the dash harness, had to splice in the gauge plugs not to hard color code were very close only a few wires were different colors. Center ductwork was the same just needed the outer ductwork to match dash vent locations
Turned out nice IMO, my favorite gbody dash
20190509_003248.jpg
20190509_003423.jpg
20190509_003142.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also went with the GP dash, but used a Monte Carlo console with the breadbox. I do like the GP console.
I found wiring the dash from Chevy to Pontiac configuration not difficult at all. And again, thanks to the universal color code. Most of it was re-pinning the Chevy plug to the two Pontiac plugs. A few wires had to be lengthened, but it all worked out in the end.
Thank goodness to interchangeability. That's the beauty of these cars.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Basic internal structure of our cars in tha dash/cowl are the same regardless of how many doors it has. What ever dash that was installed in one model will fit all. I would suggest getting the matching dash harness if you don't have good wiring skills. Keep in mind update changes between the years so make sure you have everything to complete the conversion. The one other thing to remember too is get the heater-A/C ducts that goes with the dash (as in Pontiac, Chevy/GMC, Buick, Olds, not by model.)

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Basic internal structure of our cars in tha dash/cowl are the same regardless of how many doors it has. What ever dash that was installed in one model will fit all. I would suggest getting the matching dash harness if you don't have good wiring skills. Keep in mind update changes between the years so make sure you have everything to complete the conversion. The one other thing to remember too is get the heater-A/C ducts that goes with the dash (as in Pontiac, Chevy/GMC, Buick, Olds, not by model.)
You're absolutely right about grabbing the duct work when pulling the donor dash....and of course the wiring harness. That's where I initially screwed up. When removing the GP dash, I cut the wiring instead of undoing the bulkhead plug at the firewall. That explains why I had to make the Malibu wiring work.
I guess I got overzealous at the junkyard.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Thank you to all that have answered. That GP dash does look really good, and thanks for the reminder to grab the full wiring harness all the way to the bulkhead plug.
I probably should have given you all more insight into the reason I want to change the dash. As my user name indicates, I have a 5 speed stick shift (Borg Warner T5 out
of a 92 S10 pick-up), but I don't like how close the shift lever is to the stereo knobs. I already had to bend, cut, and weld the shift handle to fit under the lower part of the
heater control/radio bump out. I would actually prefer to have the stereo up higher and easier to reach if at all possible, but will settle for any good looking set-up that will
allow easy access to stereo controls without having to contort around the shift lever. Also, in the meantime, if I am going to do a dash swap, I might as well get one from a
factory AC car and get the air box to go with it so that I can add AC down the road.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
GMC and Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo are the same, 78-88. Center speaker or stereo still bolt in the same. Dash caps available for both speaker styles. Style changed slightly in 82, with an insert between the vents. 86-88 Monte and El Camino changed again, still bolts in. Sweep cluster and gages cluster interchange with a pin change on the gage plug. Search 'dash cap' from member 'Hafrod'. He did an involved cap install. Oh, and a Pontiac dash was installed in Mexican Monte Carlos.

For your next post, pictures and a story would be welcome. Check my signature (rotate to wide mode if viewing on a phone) for build links. T5 and TKO.
I checked out your coupe build thread, Good job! In autumn of 2017, I pulled a factory V6 and 3 speed Saginaw out of my 78 Caballero, then installed a 307 with a T5 form a 92 S10. I later learned that the T5s like yours with the 18 degree tilt are supposed to fit right into the old shift hump hole. Don't know for sure if that is actually true, but it would have made things easier for me (if not more costly) to have spent the time finding a Camaro or Firebird T5. And yes, I should get some photos to include with story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor