EL CAMINO Restoring my 1986 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Hey guys, working on restoring my el camino. I lost my job+company car recently, so I'm working on getting the el camino back in good shape to drive daily again. I started out thinking I would just bleed the brakes and work on things as I drove, but now the engine is out of the car and I'm in the process of replacing a blown head gasket and the entire front end. wish me luck!

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Sorry to hear, welcome to the site. We love seeing pics of progress around here

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hello HK-Camino, from Seattle, Wa.
I'm 5th gen Elco also with a '78 Caballero, and a '79 El Camino.
Whereabouts do you call home?
We have have members all around the U.S., Canada, and even overseas.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Hey guys, here's a couple pics of my ride. I'll post some better pics once I get her out of the garage again.

IMG_3186.jpg
64204603905__3865F8EA-F22F-49E6-8C0C-9293E8E1E4A2.jpg

So far I've replaced front and rear brakes, various issues with windows and locks, and most recently I discovered lots of coolant in my oil, so I took the engine out of the car and removed the heads to get a good look into the engine. There was a bad freeze here in Houston (where I'm located) back in Feb., so I was worried about cracks in the block but I haven't found any. The intake manifold gasket looked pretty bad, so I'm hoping that was the culprit. I dropped the heads off at a machine shop today to be rebuilt. I'm going to get new seals and gaskets for the engine too while I have it out of the car.

IMG_3183.jpg

while I'm waiting on the heads, I'm going to install a new Moog front end, including 5660 springs. All the parts just arrived today. I also have a new Jeep cherokee steering shaft I'm going to install in place of my stock worn rag joint shaft. I found these gauge overlays on ebay I'm waiting on installing with some LEDs to brighten up my gauge cluster.

s-l500.jpg

Thats what's currently on my plate. Thanks for the warm welcome y'all, I'll keep things posted as progress continues.

-HK

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor