retro kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnniep

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2018
getting the odds and ends done to the Cutlass..headliner done...brakes done..yesterday was replaced all which looked like original belts,new plugs,filters...next is the AC. what's the best retro fit kit on the market including the oil for it?.....although it was only 50 degrees F last 2 days like to have it done before i park it till June and it looks like I'll be putting a rear main seal in it this spring

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
If your engine is a SBO, it's likely that the rear main seal is a 'rope seal' and if so I was wondering how bad it is leaking. Every SBO engine that I've owned that has had the 'rope seal' has been damp around that area. With that said, the area was damp and didn't leave an oil spot on the ground. How bad is yours leaking? If it really needs to be replaced, you should replace the seal before fixing the AC because I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) the engine will need to be removed to replace the rear main seal. I've never replaced one of those with the engine in the car.. I'm sure that some of the other Olds guys can chime in with regards to the rear main seal replacement on an Olds engine.

Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
AND if you're replacing the rear main seal and it's a 'rope seal' a nice upgrade is a non 'rope seal' if that make sense.

• Agree

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
BBO can use a Frod 429-460 rubber rear main, not sure about SBO....
Back years ago when I performed this repair on SBO, I recall utilizing a Felpro BS40612 or a Ford item for the upgrade. Maybe it was the seal for an old Ford 292 engine? The Felpro number is good btw..

johnniep

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2018
If your engine is a SBO, it's likely that the rear main seal is a 'rope seal' and if so I was wondering how bad it is leaking. Every SBO engine that I've owned that has had the 'rope seal' has been damp around that area. With that said, the area was damp and didn't leave an oil spot on the ground. How bad is yours leaking? If it really needs to be replaced, you should replace the seal before fixing the AC because I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) the engine will need to be removed to replace the rear main seal. I've never replaced one of those with the engine in the car.. I'm sure that some of the other Olds guys can chime in with regards to the rear main seal replacement on an Olds engine.
....getting a bit on the garage floor....bottom of the oil pan it wet

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
You want to convert to R-134a. Thourghly flush system and as I recall a pag oil. After you flush, flush, flush allow 2 ounces in the condenser, 3 in the evaporator and pour 4 in the new accumulator with a new orifice. Make sure you use a good vacuum pump with fresh oil and keep on as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor