Retrofit 1968 Engine with HEI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I finally took the plunge and bought a GM reman HEI Distributor for my project; retrofitting an '68 Olds 350 to replace the Buick 3.8 Oils dripper! It does drip out of every possible junction of heads, block, valve covers, pan, transmission. It cannot even be a boat anchor drenched in oil, you know the environment and all! My question is pretty simple I think, the HEI plug should plug into the harness plug without much ado, right? I have been told the computer harness does not involve the distributor circuit? Since I already have the starter circuit intact from the 3.8, relay etc, I should be good to go with the correct 80's Olds V8 starter, correct? Any hidden doomaflatchies? I can build an engine, transmission and rearend, but I am damned if I can master 12 Volts!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You only need a keyed 12v source to the HEI and that's it....

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, the 12 volt connection is identical.

Reactions: 1 user

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
That is what I hoped! Most of what I am doing seems to be a square peg in a smaller square hole! Thanks for letting me know!

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Remember the point system has a resistor wire to supply current to the coil in the run position so you have to omit that. You have to have the 12 volt feed in crank and run

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
For a starter, do not use a 80's 307 replacement starter, small and underpowered. Get either a 70's 350 or 403 replacement or a mini starter, depending on exhaust routing. A SBC mini starter WILL fit an Olds 350. I believe this is in a 80's El Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor