return fuel via vent line

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why use the 5/16" line as your feed line. Why not get a 3/8" aluminum line, it's easy to install

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I guess I neglected that little nugget off my story. Both cars are only 5/16 at the sender; the 67 is -8 feed and -6 return and the 85 is -6 on both along the frames.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
You guys are so far ahead of me, what I mean is that I cannot explain my issues in mechanical talk. Im learning allot by what you guys are saying though. I do have a question about this restrictor, where would it be located in my 79 regal? Im trying to use my vent as supply but didn't get any results. I will try to put 5gal in tank today to see if pump or carb would prime, I can't get car started everything else checks out.
ok olds guy we are all here to help each other and there are some excellent advice givers here so here we go. not sure what kind of sender yours is. the one i'm talking about is my 81 malibu sender which is feed and fume return. take a look at the pics and you will see where the line comes in for fumes from the charcoal canister in the engine bay. they go into the fuel tank. you will also see the restriction right under the lid. that line stops right there. you will have problems getting gas out if you use that line for feed. use the other line (3/8ths) for feed in a stock application. that fume line is 5/16on my malibu. you should be able to modify that 5/16 line by removing it and solder a 3/8ths line in there for a return for an aftermarket fuel system. this is all for a carb. system,thats what i have and will be using. i try to use what i have if possible. ok advice givers chime in. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 159

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
why use the 5/16" line as your feed line. Why not get a 3/8" aluminum line, it's easy to install
hey pontiacgp how things? on my malibu i'll be using a -8 feed from the original 3/8 feed and the stock fume line (5/16) for a return for my malibu. the stock 3/8 is already there so it should ok. i'll just bring the 3/8 hose out the back of tank and install hose to -8 adapters to run through the pump and then to carb. i'll cut that restriction out and solder in an extension on the return. hope i explained that right,sometimes i confuse myself.

Olds307guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2019
ok olds guy we are all here to help each other and there are some excellent advice givers here so here we go. not sure what kind of sender yours is. the one i'm talking about is my 81 malibu sender which is feed and fume return. take a look at the pics and you will see where the line comes in for fumes from the charcoal canister in the engine bay. they go into the fuel tank. you will also see the restriction right under the lid. that line stops right there. you will have problems getting gas out if you use that line for feed. use the other line (3/8ths) for feed in a stock application. that fume line is 5/16on my malibu. you should be able to modify that 5/16 line by removing it and solder a 3/8ths line in there for a return for an aftermarket fuel system. this is all for a carb. system,thats what i have and will be using. i try to use what i have if possible. ok advice givers chime in. thanks

I have same sender but with one additional line. I'm using the 5/16 line as feed simply because that's the one that's closer to my fuel pump. The original feed and return ran along the driver side, on the olds307 the fuel pump is on the passenger side. So I used the 5/16 that ran right next to the pump as feed and redid it from tank that way as well. I did not want to run my fuel line across the engine bay or under motor . I don't have the skills to do anything other than what I stated above. Your reply was very helpful I'll see about that restrictor and ad more fuel to tank and see if I can get it right. My timing,wiring, I have spark fuel is all I'm able to see wrong. So yes thank you.
I also have 3 other quadrajets laying around idk if my carb could be issue but that's all. New cap rotor wires as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor