Reverse Flow Heater Hose Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yesterday I posted a thread regarding vacuum for the heater control valve. Got all the info which was a huge help.
Now I have another question.
If the heater hose control valve goes into the smaller feed hose would that change with a reverse flow water pump ? Is the flow the same ? Flow goes in from the manifold and back to the pump ? Or is that reversed on the serpentine setup ????

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Or is that reversed on the serpentine setup ????
All this means is the water pump impeller is designed to go "reverse" or the opposite direction of a standard water pump so that it can work with the serpentine belt set up, and the same for a mechanical fan for serpentine would have the blades opposite of a standard set up.
None of this affects how the water flows through your engine.
An obviously the water pump and mechanical fan from a serpentine set up are not interchangeable for use on a standard rotation set up and vise versa.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
All this means is the water pump impeller is designed to go "reverse" or the opposite direction of a standard water pump so that it can work with the serpentine belt set up, and the same for a mechanical fan for serpentine would have the blades opposite of a standard set up.
None of this affects how the water flows through your engine.
An obviously the water pump and mechanical fan from a serpentine set up are not interchangeable for use on a standard rotation set up and vise versa.
Thanks. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I knew the fan and pump are different. Theyve been on the motor since the week I brought it home. I was putting the heater hoses on the other day and all of a sudden I had this thought that I better find out of they were the same. LOL

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
With the LT1 (Gen II SBC), my understanding was that the reverse flow water pump feeds water to the heads first, so it could run a higher compression ratio. That probably doesn't have anything to do with the older SBC with a reverse rotation water pump.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That probably doesn't have anything to do with the older SBC with a reverse rotation water pump.
Really for SBC Gen 1 it is reverse rotation not reverse flow which is why complete serpentine kits with accessories contain the correct water pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor