Revisiting a past headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not sure why I'm bothering with this but with the incorrectly Pypes tail pipe sitting in the middle of the floor in the left gargae bay while trying to resort the garage I'm kinda interested if after messing it up worse from listening from what Pypes own people told me to do to it if they will/want to warrenty the pipe.
The reason for this is they discontinued the kit (SGG12S(R,V)) & have a new version of the kit (SGG912E) that is the same but with cats. They also did it with the SGG10_(S,R,V) side exit kit making the cat kit SGG910E. But back to the (not so smart) idea to see after two years if they would fix what they side stepped & avoided. I have the Jegs kit on the frame right now but if I could pull off another car in the future I would have a system ready to go (or have a kit to sell if needed.) What's the worst that they do, tell me to fvck off? But it is disapponting that they did away with the good kit that fit with the SSG10 kit that it seems like everyone really liked with a split view on the X-pipe.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Go for the refund if they’ll still take it and apply that money somewhere else.
You could hack it into a side exit kit if all else fails, however.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well I really can't get money back from them cause Summit did a damage claim against UPS cause we thought they damaged the pipe when the deliver driver pole vaulted the box into the front yard. But if they did correct the bend program for that passenger tail pipe to fit as nice as the driver side does then I'll redo the X-pipe to straight pipes. Then I'll still have a set for a (hopeful) future project. It's a wait game now.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got a reply today:
... since you and I spoke, I finally got to our designer and told him the issues that we've been dealing with. We got a 87 Monte in our shop and installed the same kit you have on his car. Our designer saw the issue and told our installer to redesigned the tail pipe. Now the issue is that we are not getting re-designed tail pipe until it's time to re-order. We have 72 pairs of tails and by my previous statement... no one wants to put CAT's on their car. I just spoke to our designer and he said maybe we can just order the RH tail pipe and scrap all of the ones he have instock. He is looking into this. If we pull the plug and order this right now, they will not be here until the beginning of next year.
Wish they would of contacted me about it when they finally got working on the fix. So next is to wait to see about getting that correct pipe. It also included the reason why the kit (& the 442 style kit) was discontinued:
... In Jan 2019, we had to discontinue your kit because the EPA came down on all of the aftermarket companies who encouraged deleting the CAT on cars 1975 and newer. Your kit fell into that category. You are correct... all we did was to take the same kit and add CAT's, but we had to change the part #, again thanks to the EPA. Since doing this change over, that kit and several other kits with the CAT's added have become extremely slow movers. Your kit is being sought after by the guys that own similar cars. No one wants to add CAT's because your cars don't need them for the amount you drive or being antique or the area you are in. The EPA doesn't care about that. The blanket statement from them was... if it originally came on the car, it's required..!
So now if you want their true duals you gotta get the dual cats with it at a hefty price increase. I have my Magnaflow cats so I'm good. But they still have the cat back factory style SS & 422 kit with out the mark up.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So you’re going to try to get a tailpipe off of them or is there something more that I’m missing?
Go back up to the first post & check out the link to the thread from '18 about my fun with that tail pipe. It was pure joy trying to make something made wrong fit.

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
Right? Im missing something as well? They are giving you the run around, Im not hearing a solid solution to your problem, just a bunch of their problems.. No one cares if the kits with cats are slow movers again their problem. Id raise some more hell in this position. We are sorry and we have ordered the right kit for you and it is shipping is all id want to hear.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor