Reviving my Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Hi everyone.
My current Buick is a 1984 Regal Limited (or at least the badge on the side says it is). It was in pretty poor shape when I bought it - engine needed a rebuild, carb needed a rebuild, its last paint job appeared to have been done with a roller :shock:
In the last year or so I've rebuilt the engine (standard 231 V6), the carburetor, replaced the cat and cat-back, got a cheap Maaco sand-and-spray done, and got the interior reupholstered.

I'm in California now, but I hope that changes in about 3-4 years so I can do something about the engine. For now, I'm just trying to get it into good condition.

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
Welcome! Good luck with the Regal.I'm sure if you have any questions, someone on here will be able to help you.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
ouch California smog laws are going to put a damper on engine decisions :( if your going to wait a few years...why not spring for a 5.3/6.0 chevy LSX engine? great power...prices are really coming down on nice used cores...ive seen 80k engines going for 400 bucks! :shock:

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I'm mostly considering putting the ubiquitous Chevy 350 small block on it. Mainly because they're everywhere, they're still being manufactured, I know it will fit without use of a torch, and there are countless aftermarket performance parts for it.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Don't forget that you can slide in a 4.1 Buick V6 and still trick the smog guy (I used to live in CA, and tricking the smog nazis is one of my favorite pasttimes) while improving power.

Look for the bigger lesabres and Rivieras from 1980-1985 or so. They all come with a factory quadrajet 4 bbl but otherwise look identical to your 3.8 engine. You re-use your 2bbl intake and run your dual jet computer carb but you will increase the size of your jets. You can run a factory grind camshaft for the turbo Trans Am (1989) or 87 GN. You will still pass smog...

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
CA smog sucks but yeah at least your putting the car in good condition that's great! welcome to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor