Rewire or not to rewire

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Four initial points on my 85 El Camino!
- I cleaned up and painted my engine bay and installed a Sniper EFI/Hyperspark Distributor Kit for my SBC 350 engine-swapped El Camino. A lot of work to get to this point!
- In cleaning up the engine bay, I discovered that almost every piece of the AC/Heater System needed repairs or replacement. Plus, the wiring was in pitiful shape. So...I removed everything, opting to install a Vintage AC System (further downrange).
- The in-line electric fuel pump included with the Sniper EFI Kit was loud...but worked okay. I am now installing Holly's in-tank fuel pump (#12-335), but I can't seem to find the ground issue causing my stock fuel guage to read properly. Voltage is 4.37 at the sender.
- Wiring in the cabin, engine bay and likely elsewhere was/is horrible. I've refreshed all of the engine-related wiring.

Now...my question: Wiring issues seem to pop up all too regularly. I have no wiring experience to brag about, but I think it is a project I need to tackle. I'm looking for the simplest and most efficient complete wiring kit. What wiring kits are best for 85 El Caminos?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd say check into who all here that might have good spare harnesses first. Next would be the reproduction market like M&H as they do make A/G harnesses.
Last would be the aftermarket kits as they are not always plug-n-play & still will need some fabricating on your part.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I was at that point when I built my wagon. Most of the wiring wasnt being used after the crate motor swap and since the original motor didnt have a serpentine setup I had to change the wires for the charging system and AC from one side to the other. It was a pain in the butt but after I figured out what went where it didnt take that long.
Im not sure what terminals are used in the bulkhead connection for an 85. My wagon is an 83. I was able to buy all the correct Packard 56 and 59 terminals from a few different vendors. I spent the extra cash and bought a set of crimpers from american autowire. Thats made a huge difference putting the terminals on correctly. I also bought multiple short rolls of the OEM color wire from a place called wirebarn.com. Since most runs are short 10' rolls were perfect and not that much money. I searched through wire spools at every auto parts and couldnt find 12AWG in pink and purple. All the had were common colors. Nothing worse than trying to trace a problem when every wire in a harness is red.
I also searched through the local junkyards for split loom fittings. The tees in different sizes. The loops at the end of the loom that snap together. I might be wrong in some peoples eyes but I truly think its small details like that that make things look right.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is what I started with. UGH..

1667688921167.png

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
Four initial points on my 85 El Camino!
- I cleaned up and painted my engine bay and installed a Sniper EFI/Hyperspark Distributor Kit for my SBC 350 engine-swapped El Camino. A lot of work to get to this point!
- In cleaning up the engine bay, I discovered that almost every piece of the AC/Heater System needed repairs or replacement. Plus, the wiring was in pitiful shape. So...I removed everything, opting to install a Vintage AC System (further downrange).
- The in-line electric fuel pump included with the Sniper EFI Kit was loud...but worked okay. I am now installing Holly's in-tank fuel pump (#12-335), but I can't seem to find the ground issue causing my stock fuel guage to read properly. Voltage is 4.37 at the sender.
- Wiring in the cabin, engine bay and likely elsewhere was/is horrible. I've refreshed all of the engine-related wiring.

Now...my question: Wiring issues seem to pop up all too regularly. I have no wiring experience to brag about, but I think it is a project I need to tackle. I'm looking for the simplest and most efficient complete wiring kit. What wiring kits are best for 85 El Caminos?
Your build describes my build exactly, except your engine bay looks a lot better!
I am even less familiar with wiring than you are. If/when you tackle the rewire I'll be following if you post your progress.
Thanks!

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Your build describes my build exactly, except your engine bay looks a lot better!
I am even less familiar with wiring than you are. If/when you tackle the rewire I'll be following if you post your progress.
Thanks!
I'm still on the fence! Basically, my patience is thin. I dropped a Holley in-tank fuel pump into a new gas tank this week, and tackling Sniper EFI issues have taken the driver's seat.

A new guage cluster is on the way, and in order to adhere to my build plan, changing my interior color to black seems like it should be my next priority. Plus, I still have to put my interior back together!

Sooo...being waaay over budget and patience being nagging issues, rewiring seems to have become less important to me.

Reactions: 1 user

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
It's easy to spread yourself thin when the whole vehicle needs attention so I totally get it.

Likely I will farm out the wiring installation. If you come across any aftermarket kits that you decide will work, please post it.

Thanks, and good luck!

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I pulled the whole dash wiring out, all original engine wiring, all the HVAC wiring, stripped it down and went through it, then taped it back up. When I did my build I integrated the fusebox & wiring from a 1998 Camaro to run the LS Engine and everything associated with that. Built my own wiring harness for it and it all plugs in like it should. It takes time but it's worth it in the long run.

FUSE BOX HARNESS.JPG

DASH HARNESS.JPG

ENGINE HARNESS T56.JPG

BEFORE AFTER3.jpg

6.0L T56 FRONT CENTER.jpg

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
I pulled the whole dash wiring out, all original engine wiring, all the HVAC wiring, stripped it down and went through it, then taped it back up. When I did my build I integrated the fusebox & wiring from a 1998 Camaro to run the LS Engine and everything associated with that. Built my own wiring harness for it and it all plugs in like it should. It takes time but it's worth it in the long run.

View attachment 211291
View attachment 211289
View attachment 211290
View attachment 211288
View attachment 211287
Thanks for the pictures! They tell a great story! I'm jealous!!

I have a SBC 350 swap, and as much as I've spent, I know I would have been much happier with an LS swap. But...I thought the LS and all of it's electronics would have been beyond my skill level.

My next big expence is a Vintage AC System. My old AC/Heater Box was beyond repair. I've got to pull the dash and replace all of the old hoses and clean 38 years of gunk out of the hard-plastic ducting. If I decide to rewire, that will probably be the best time to tackle the job.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I helped my neighbor put a Vintage Air setup in his 67 Camaro, not too bad to do.

The biggest thing about wiring, is a wire has two ends so put them where they need to go. It's that simple no matter how many of them you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor