MONTE CARLO Rewiring questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What needs fixed with the wiring? I personnally do my own wire work with OE type connectors I have picked up over they years & splice in new sections to copy OE splices. It is easier & cheaper to do it yourself. Most harness are repoped & there are a few here that may even have the ones you need.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have no experience with electrical... The rear defrost doesnt work. The power windows and power door locks are not working. The reverse light is not working. The oil pressure sensor is not working... After driving for about 20-45 minutes the dash shuts off. The voltage fluctuates for no reason that I can see, I dont turn anything on or off... I am just frustrated with the electrical problems... I have no idea how to trouble shoot the electrical... I am not opposes to doing it myself but I dont know anything about electrical and I have no one that has experience with electrical to work with or for me to learn from... Argh!

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have no experience with electrical... The rear defrost doesnt work. The power windows and power door locks are not working. The reverse light is not working. The oil pressure sensor is not working... After driving for about 20-45 minutes the dash shuts off. The voltage fluctuates for no reason that I can see, I dont turn anything on or off... I am just frustrated with the electrical problems... I have no idea how to trouble shoot the electrical... I am not opposes to doing it myself but I dont know anything about electrical and I have no one that has experience with electrical to work with or for me to learn from... Argh!

Rewiring a car is a big a**ed job and I don't think you are there yet. Lots of questions to be asked and when we are faced with a big issue it is best to break off in little pieces.

First thing don't worry about the rear defrost for now.
Second thing on windows and locks is do you have current to the fuse block for those circuits? If not, go back toward fuse links, if so go forward to switches
Reverse lights, to quote Gum Ball Ralley " What is behind you is of no concern" Of course they were not in tight parking lots so I would have someone look at the back up light while you move shifter between park and neutral to see it they illuminate. If so, backup light switch, adjustment or worn linkage. Check bulbs and sockets for current and return. Juice and ground:)
Oil pressure is most likely the sending unit. Take a test light and with the key on, ground one end of test light and put the sharp pointy end in the wire terminal and see if the gauge reacts. If so, replace sending unit
On the dash shuts off, is it the dash lights? Little more specific please.
Voltage fluctuates? Voltmeter? lights flare? Little more info.

I know electrical can be frustrating but you have come to the right place grasshopper

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Could look into grounds as one thing that may need addressing. As noted certain things can wait until the importatnt stuff is fixed. Look on Fleabay for a '87 Chevy Monte/Elky/Caprice wiring manual & Fisher Body manual so you'll have some material to look over to understand how the wiring is laid out. Don't rush it when you start working on any of it cause it'll confuse you more than needed.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You do know this site is DIY central, right? Get some books and learn. It's not hard and is quite rewarding to fix electrical problems. By me, a good shop charges way over $100 an hour for electrical issues. This is one of the best. The Automotive Electrical Handbook by Jim Horner.
s-l225.jpg

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
Bonnewagon - Yes, I do know this is a DIY sight and I am not afraid to turn a wrench. I have a nice collection of tools and I like saving money as well. But electrical... ARGH!

airboatgreg - The car has a Dakota Digital dash - it shuts off after driving which is bad - no speed, voltage or any other functions. Driving ‘blind’...

I appreciate the support I have received from this sight since I joined. You all are a wealth of kkowledge and are helpful. I appreciate you all. I am just frustrated... And the weather has been all liquid sunshine for the past month and I havent been outside working on the car.

I bought a digital multimeter but have no idea how to use it! Figured it would be useful when I attack this problem.

I have been thinking about pulling the interior out to work on the electrical - including the dash - your thoughts on this?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The whole car doesn't need rewired; just a few issues ironed out. You don't have to pull the whole dash.

Stick it on a Reliable trailer headed east with the title in an agreed location, and I'll take (care of) it.:mrgreen:

• Indifferent
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
electrical... ARGH!
Ha ha, yes, most people feel that way. So do I sometimes. But knowledge is strength. Read some books and you will get an understanding of the hows and whys. Actually auto electrical systems are very simple. All positives run to components and all have a common negative ground (the car). Bad grounds are the most common issue as well as broken and chaffed wires. Just this summer I was pulling my hair out over an electric door window. The motor was good, the switch was good, fuse was good. But the feed wire that went way up under the dash- in a protective channel- was dead. Instead of yanking out the dash to see why I just cut it off and ran a whole new wire and that solved it. Here is a start- read. http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor