MONTE CARLO Rhd 79 off to a bad start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2020
Got stuck into my 79 this weekend to see how much body work was in store. Because the car used to have a landau top I was expecting rust around the rear and quarter windows because we all know those things leak. Took out the interior panels to find some pretty heart wrenching damage. Entire interior structure on the drivers side (Passenger side in my car) is gone! Roof frame is gone from b pillar back. Nasty rot at the bottom of the a pillars too. Other side is a lot better just rust where I was expecting it. What are your thoughts? Too far gone? Was thinking about trying to find someone parting out a car and get the whole b pillar back cut and shipped to avoid fabricating inner structure from scratch. There are only 6 or so 3rd gens in the country so no chance of a donor car here and as this is one of the only rhd cars I’d like to save her if possible. Other option is try find a decent roller stateside and get it shipped over but that’s at least a 7k operation plus cost of the donor. Floor is solid, bottom the the quarters and sills are all solid. Landau roofs are the devil 👿
CA4ED2D2-AC41-4942-9AF3-AC52FB91A64D.jpeg BE3D60F4-6EDF-4016-ACCC-EEFF9D4CB534.jpeg
E44304D7-2DEF-4D0A-8AFF-355C987D2052.jpeg

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
The left side metal looks too clean to be rotted out, almost like someone removed it. Since it’s not at all visible when the car is assembled, I would just repair the outer skin and use the right side inner as a template to build an inner for the left. It doesn’t have to be pretty since it will be covered.

As for the a pillars, start by cleaning the rust with a wire wheel. Usually it’s worse than it looks but sometimes you can get lucky. If there’s solid metal, paint it and go. Otherwise you might be to buy reproductions and convert them for non-t top use. I replaced mine and it’s actually not as bad of a job as I thought it would be, but you definitely need to take your time though. Shipping cost/time might make that a challenge though.

I think it’s worth saving, especially given the rarity in your locale. These kind of projects can be frustrating but extremely rewarding and make for great stories later on.

Reactions: 1 user

Masone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2020
The left side metal looks too clean to be rotted out, almost like someone removed it. Since it’s not at all visible when the car is assembled, I would just repair the outer skin and use the right side inner as a template to build an inner for the left.

As for the a pillars, start by cleaning the rust with a wire wheel. Usually it’s worse than it looks but sometimes you can get lucky. If there’s solid metal, paint it and go. Otherwise you might be to buy reproductions and convert them for non-t top use.

Cheers for the info on the A pillars, I was looking at them and wondering if I could use the bottom halves to replace these ones. Already spent over 2k buying and shipping all the weather seals, door handles, taillights, bezels etc To put in when bodywork is done so not too stressed about cost for replacement A pillars, will save a lot of time and grief.
Will definitely use the other c pillar structure as a template, it’s pretty solid.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Make whatever you can. You can also check your U-pull yards for inner structure from a different vehicle. Do it like a puzzle, cut and piece it together till you get the shape you need. As said it’s going to be hidden forever. Just use your trim panel occasionally to make sure your not going in a wrong direction. Shipping across the border is obviously expensive. I got about 30 quotes of $650.00 to $850.00 to ship it whole car from Dallas Tx. to Pgh Pa.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I agree that it looks like the left hand C pillar was cut out but why unless it was badly wreaked in the past.

Masone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2020
I agree that it looks like the left hand C pillar was cut out but why unless it was badly wreaked in the past.
Yeah there is a few bits left and it looks like it was badly rotted and someone decided to cut it most of it out. Never got replaced. Will just have to piece it back together, like others have said it will be hidden so doesn’t need to be picture perfect. Biggest relief is knowing I can use the t-top A pillar repros to replace the lower sections on mine

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Where are you located? I have 6 3rd gens ,all rust free.also have complete rust free roof,doors,fenders,hoods,1/4s etc.pm me a location and I will price accordingly

Masone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2020
Where are you located? I have 6 3rd gens ,all rust free.also have complete rust free roof,doors,fenders,hoods,1/4s etc.pm me a location and I will price accordingly
Cheers mate, I’m in Australia but will give you a hoy if I’m chasing some solid parts down the track. Shipping is a killer but it is what it is if you want to play with these cars on this side of the pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor