Richard Holdener Tests a 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Been a bit of discussion about 3800's on my build thread. It just so happens that Richard Holdener is testing one of these right now so there's going to be some really good information there about them

Part 1: Getting the motor running and baseline tests:

Part 2: Tests a few common upgrades the supercharged folks do. pulley swap, headers, intake, E85

Part 3 is up now: Compound charging a 3800 with a GT45 blower and the stock supercharger

So far he has already disproved a lot of the things I've heard from people in the 3800 world in the time that I've been in it.
I'm hoping to see him pull the blower off and replace it with an L36/L26 intake to see what it can do, I'm not as interested in the M90 content but it's still been informative. Sounds like this engine is also going to be making an appearance on engine masters too! Anxious to hear what Freiburger says about it because in my mind this was the motor they should have used in the Rotsun instead of the 4.3

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Cool stuff. A dare to be different setup.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The compound boost was pretty interesting. The thing that baffled me, which is why removing the blower is important, is why at 22psi it wasn't moving more air. Boost is just a measure of restriction. The fact that Holdner still won't correlate air mass, AFR (lambda) and timing bothers me to no end. He is blindly making power... and perpetuating that methodology to the masses.

Makes me not want to talk to people.
Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Anxious to hear what Freiburger says about it because in my mind this was the motor they should have used in the Rotsun instead of the 4.3
The Rotsun came from a (former) member here named Ringers.

Reactions: 1 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
The compound boost was pretty interesting. The thing that baffled me, which is why removing the blower is important, is why at 22psi it wasn't moving more air. Boost is just a measure of restriction. The fact that Holdner still won't correlate air mass, AFR (lambda) and timing bothers me to no end. He is blindly making power... and perpetuating that methodology to the masses.

Makes me not want to talk to people.
Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX
From the live stream I watched it sounded like he wanted to pull more data off of these runs but didn't have time to do it. During the livestream he mentioned that he was disappointed with how much power it made at that boost level and also mentioned he expected the blower to be a restriction as he tries to make even more power down the road.
I'm suspecting that the engine masters episode is going to be about compound charging too though so I think they're going to talk about it a lot more there if that's the case and I'm sure he wouldn't want to give out any spoilers ahead of time.

I haven't seen a lot about AFR, but he definitely explored how much timing the engine wanted and different fuels too. Unless I'm missing something else that you're getting at.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I haven't seen a lot about AFR, but he definitely explored how much timing the engine wanted and different fuels too. Unless I'm missing something else that you're getting at.

Cranking the boost and playing with timing isn't good enough. Holdner needs to do a more thorough job... it is borderline hacksmithing at this stage. He hasn't improved his methodologies and grown despite having incredible resources at his disposal.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Cranking the boost and playing with timing isn't good enough. Holdner needs to do a more thorough job... it is borderline hacksmithing at this stage. He hasn't improved his methodologies and grown despite having incredible resources at his disposal.
I dont think he can get too much more scientific unless he gets a dominator. Not enough bandwidth with an HP.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I dont think he can get too much more scientific unless he gets a dominator. Not enough bandwidth with an HP.

The computer isn't the only thing lacking bandwidth in this scenario. I am starting to think I need to open a school. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor