Ride Height Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Hi Gang,

I have a dilemma about my ride height. I have Torq Thrust 16x8 wheels and I think I messed up on tire size. I put on 235/60/16's and they fit fine in the back, but the fronts rub when I'm backing and turning the wheel. The tire is hitting the lower fender on the front edge of the wheel opening. I have the upper control arms adjusted so the tire is as far back in the wheel well as I can go. I can't just go and buy smaller tires, but I can raise the ride height with the coilovers. Do you think that raising the height an inch or so might help, or are the tires just too big? I don't have coilovers in the back, so if i did raise the front, i might have to change springs in the rear, which is no big deal - at least a smaller deal than buying 4 new tires. Any and all opinions are welcome here. Just wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience. Thanks!
30192.jpeg

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Easiest route is to just get smaller tires for the front and keep the existing fronts for when you burn the existing pair off the rear.

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I hadn't though of that. Two questions. Will it look strange to have smaller tires on the front? The other, should I go smaller width, smaller diameter, or both?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
225/50r16 or 225/55R16 at most.

Your wheel offset looks wrong for the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
sh*t. American Racing said they would fit. Thanks for the recommendation on the size. It's not a huge deal, they don't rub under normal driving conditions, but when you drop $18k or so in a car, you want it to be as right as it can possibly be. I'll take it down to Discount and see If they can get me some 50's. I don't want to hear my wife rag on me about the rub if she takes it for a drive.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Don't change tires until you install tall upper balljoints. This will change your camber curve and may stop your rubbing. I'm running 275 on the FRONT and don't have any rubbing. Backspacing also matters...

John85SS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2021
Sorry you are having issues. I love those Torq Thrust wheels. They look great!

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Don't change tires until you install tall upper balljoints. This will change your camber curve and may stop your rubbing. I'm running 275 on the FRONT and don't have any rubbing. Backspacing also matters...
Wouldn't twisting up the coilovers accomplish a similar outcome?

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Sorry you are having issues. I love those Torq Thrust wheels. They look great!
Thanks, those were the wheels I wanted when I started the project. For all the money I've put in this thing, I guess the cost of a couple of tires won't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You mean raising the ride height? Yes, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having it sit the way you want? The added benefit is it will handle better with the taller balljoints and they are cheap. I think $30 each, so $60 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor