Right Turn signal Gage Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank_C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2020
Hi all - Ok, I have a 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham, 231 cu. V-6. My right hand turn signal light has a weird thing going on, which appears to be electrical. So, when I engage the hazards both arrows blink green, with ignition in the off position. When the ignition is turned half-way to accessory, the right turn signal arrow in the gage seems to go out, while the left turn signal arrow continues to flash as normal. When I turn the ignition back to the off position and depress my headlight switch and engage the hazard lights same thing - left arrow is blinking while right arrow is not. When I turn off my headlight switch, and turn on my hazards, both arrows blink green. When I start the car, and engage each turn signal, the left arrow blinks normal and the right arrow blinks but is faint. Any ideas on my next move? Would a bad ground impact the headlight switch and/or ignition switch? Thanks in advance for your help.

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I would check the grounds on both left side sockets. I would also clean both sockets and replace the bulbs. Odds are there is a bunch of dried up yellow goo(grease) in those sockets from 30 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users

Frank_C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2020
I would check the grounds on both left side sockets. I would also clean both sockets and replace the bulbs. Odds are there is a bunch of dried up yellow goo(grease) in those sockets from 30 years ago.
The other thing that is happening is the right turn signal arrow and "Fasten Seat Belts" light on the dummy cluster both light up faintly when the right turn is engaged. Cleaned out the sockets and they didn't seem too bad. Any other suggestions? Really strange. Why would I check the grounds on both left sides, if its the right turn signal?

Thanks.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Use some electrical contact cleaner on the connection between the circuit board for the dash and any connections. It sounds like there may be corrosion somewhere causing a short and / or greater resistance.

Other option that is more likely with a tilt column. You could have some wires in the column that has worn isolation due to the column going up and down all these years. This could be causing something to ground out. It is also possible that some of the strands within these wires have broken and are causing additional resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor