Rims rubbing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2019
Recently bought an 88 cutlass. It had 20" wheels on it when i bought it. I bought a set of factory cutlass rally wheels for it and when i put them on, the driver's side is hitting the tie rod where it meets the spindle. The car has drilled/slotted rotors on it so I'm thinking maybe these rotors are thinner than stock at the hub and allowing the rim to set further in? The passenger side is very close, but not rubbing. To get home from tire shop i put a spacer they had on the rear for the 20s.
So I'm wondering if it would be safe to grind down that knuckle to clear the rim? Wouldn't take much to clear. Or put factory rotors on? Assuming the rotors caused this? Any ideas?

The spindles appear stock also.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Recently bought an 88 cutlass. It had 20" wheels on it when i bought it. I bought a set of factory cutlass rally wheels for it and when i put them on, the driver's side is hitting the tie rod where it meets the spindle. The car has drilled/slotted rotors on it so I'm thinking maybe these rotors are thinner than stock at the hub and allowing the rim to set further in? The passenger side is very close, but not rubbing. To get home from tire shop i put a spacer they had on the rear for the 20s.
So I'm wondering if it would be safe to grind down that knuckle to clear the rim? Wouldn't take much to clear. Or put factory rotors on? Assuming the rotors caused this? Any ideas?

The spindles appear stock also.
I would put the grinder away and buy the correct rotors. In my opinion factory rally wheels are the way to go

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor