RIP HERO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Guys, I can't thank all of y'all enough for the words! It sure was a sucky day going and getting everything squared away. Really sucks we have to wait until next Thursday and Friday, partially due to Covid and also the earliest the veterans cemetery could get him taken care of. Cool thing...his mode of transportation is the same color as the Cutlass, and my uncle and I have a secret plan for it.

Was going through pics earlier and found a few that hit hard. First I was 10 months old, 2nd is from my wedding day...he was my best man, and lastly Easter a couple years back with the grandkids. I'm gonna miss that dude, he really was my best friend.
20210114_150935.jpg
20210114_145219.jpg
IMG_6399.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sorry to hear this Scott. My condolences to you and your family. My dad passed in 2007. Also a vet. The folded flag is on a shelf in my bedroom. I visit his grave at least twice a week. It was a hard loss.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I had alluded to a special touch, I'll elaborate now. My dad was a lifelong boat racing fan, junkie, and volunteer. His dad introduced him into the sport, but neither ever had the means to have their own boat. Instead, my dad volunteered countless hours over the decades helping out on crews, being a race judge(I've done that and it's intense).
When I say we grew up around motors I wasn't kidding. His favorite were vintage hydroplanes which ran Allison engines from WW2 planes, but the 7L class is like what we do with our cars. Slap a high hp motor into a well built wood boat, driveshaft running between the legs, and hit the water doing 100mph+! Here is a pic of him sitting in one of his friend's boats. I've looked at alot of pics the last few days and I've yet to see one where he wasn't smiling or having a good time. Blown Hemi goodness!!!!....
vintage.jpg

We grew up going to the Madison Regatta which is a bit northwest of Louisville. The "top fuel cars" of the event are Unlimited hydroplanes. Mostly powered by helicopter turbines, those suckers rip at 200mph on the straights! Anyways, with his love of boat racing, my uncle and I came up with the idea of lettering his casket. My uncle's friend owns a sign shop so getting the goods was easy. We went by yesterday and applied the decals to the Cutlass colored casket. I'm sure my dad is honored. Thanks again guys for checking in, I'm having a hard time this week. I wanted to ask him something yesterday and it hit me hard. I'm sure it'll get easier with time, I hope. Just gotta get through the funeral.
20210118_171604.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
nice touch with lettering the casket. Still want to call my old man every now and again and it's been a little over 9 years here. Very heartfelt sorry for your loss. Thankful that you have so many great memories of your time together. In time that time you all recall will become cherished and sure to still put a smile on your face

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well, everything was finished up today. Not gonna lie, that absolutely sucked! He's in a better place now. I know where he's at now, and if I wanna visit it's a quick drive down the road. Here are a few pics from the day. He got his military burial, and hearing taps being played has a whole new meaning for me now. I'm super proud of my pops, and grateful I was able to have a close relationship with him.
20210122_123429.jpg
20210122_123622.jpg
20210122_174037.jpg
20210122_174058.jpg

On a lighter note, I did wanna play Joe Diffie's "prop me up" song to get a laugh.

• Winner
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor