RIP Senator John McCain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've always been astounded that Vietnam draft dodgers made it to the White House and actual Vietnam vets didn't !?! WTF is up with that? As stated, like him or not- he embodied Honor, Respect, Dignity, Honesty, and Courage. There is precious little of that left. I salute you Sir.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've always been astounded that Vietnam draft dodgers made it to the White House and actual Vietnam vets didn't !?! WTF is up with that? As stated, like him or not- he embodied Honor, Respect, Dignity, Honesty, and Courage. There is precious little of that left. I salute you Sir.
Because a draft dodger is a better bullshiter, better liar & don't/don't bother to embody Honor, Dignity, Honesty & Courage.
(Disclaimer: based on personallity not political affiliation)

Last edited:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
aaaaaaand this is starting to go south already, isn't it.

Nov 4, 2012
I feared this might get a little political, but I have an enormous amount of respect for the man, and felt it necessary to address his passing.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, not going south. Just wondering out loud. Sorry. I was in the Army '72 to '75 and the rumor was that he got extra beatings because he was the Admiral's Son. So whatever "privileges" he may have had in the Navy ended up costing him. Plus a pilot was an especially good catch to begin with. He said that time in the POW camp made him what he was- an honest man who loved this country dearly.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My point exactly. So much for the idea that only the "cream of the crop" gets to fly fighter jets. Of course during war time, they need bodies, so exceptions are made. Still, though glamorous, it was a very dangerous job. I knew a guy that his ejector seat discharged by accident and smashed his head into the canopy, injuring his back. The Navy of course refused to acknowledge this and fought his medical treatments tooth and nail. Also don't forget that at the time, disgust over the war was so bad that the soldiers got no respect at all. A guy I worked with came back from 'Nam and the first thing he did was stuff his uniform into a trash can at the airport. This is why those Vets have a particularly strong bond with each other. McCain stood up for those guys when the country in general wanted to just forget about it. He never wavered in his support of Vets and was one of the few voices of reason when war was contemplated.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor