Roadkill goes TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I read the other day that Roadkill is partnering with the velocity network. Idk how many of my fellow gbody members tune into Roadkill on motor trend on demand or on youtube but they have always been about doing things their way, and not letting big TV networks drama up their shows. What do you guys think? In my opinion I kind of see it as the end of a good thing, they were independent and put out really good stuff and now I think that will be taken over and some guy in an office that drives a Prius will be telling them what to do on the show and throwing in a bunch of fake drama. As soon as that happens ill be throwing in the towel and getting rid of my MTOD subscription and chalk it up to another fake show like Gas Monkey Garage crap

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Not for nothing, but Velocity is beginning to suck. I'm sure they'll turn Roadkill into another dumbass commercial reality TV show.,,that's too bad.

• Optimistic
  • Agree

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
You have a link to where they said this? I haven't heard of this yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
From what I understand, this deal doesn't mean Roadkill is changing, or is turning into a TV show. The partnership between TEN and Discovery means that some velocity shows will air on Motor Trend on Demand, and Motor Trend on Demand will be advertised on Velocity on TV. No need to panic just yet. I don't have an MTOD subscription and still enjoy the free episodes of RoadKill and HRG on YouTube every month.

http://www.hotrod.com/…/discovery-communications-agrees-fo…/

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
You have a link to where they said this? I haven't heard of this yet.

It was on their FB page, hopefully Kwik_Cutty88 is right and the partnership wont affect how roadkill is filmed but you never know with them weighing their opinions in

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
yeah I'm hoping that this has to do more with the "mainstream" shows etc they have on MTOD and not DF's little corner of it, which is maybe 1/4 of just the "original" shows they list, never mind motorsports or events. Some of those I think are out of production though.... If you notice in all the recent shows there are well-timed breaks for possible commercials so there's that.

I *do* have a MTOD sub, and basically only watch DF's stuff (RK, RK-E, RK-G, EM) and HR-G because the rest just feels like Discovery/Velocity-style tripe. The second things change for the worse, or DF bails because the suits try to take control (I think he would do that) then I'm done. He's been in the biz long enough to have some pull, and to just go "yeah FU I'm taking my toys and going somewhere else"....

I've tried watching Velocity and really can't find much good on it. Discovery can suck it. Sorry any "405ers" reading, but I tried and couldn't make it thru one episode of those redneck idiots.

On a side note, did they ever clean up roadkill.com? I tried joining up when they started that but it was basically a cluster__ and full of spammers with no indication it would get better.... I even volunteered to help clean it up, but you know.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Here's the PR if anyone cares to read the legal and marketing speak...

http://www.enthusiastnetwork.com/di...lidated-joint-venture-ten-enthusiast-network/

Discovery Communications Agrees to Form Leading Automotive Media Company through Consolidated Joint Venture with TEN: The Enthusiast Network
Discovery Communications announced today that it has agreed to form a new consolidated joint venture with TEN: The Enthusiast Network. The venture will bring together Discovery’s Velocity channel, the number one automotive TV network, and TEN’s entire automotive digital, direct-to-consumer, social and live event portfolio including industry leading brands Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Roadkill, Automobile, and more than 20 others. The venture will create a top automotive media company in the U.S. and an unrivaled destination for automotive enthusiasts, auto buyers and advertisers looking to reach this high-quality audience on all screens and platforms. Discovery will take a majority controlling interest in the venture.

“Continuing with Discovery’s strategy to reach superfans on all platforms in popular and durable content categories, this joint venture brings together the most trusted media brands in the automotive industry to create a multiplatform business with the reach, talent, and consumer insights to nourish car enthusiasts on all devices,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO, Discovery Communications. “By combining popular brands like Motor Trend, Hot Rod and Velocity, this venture will create a content engine that fuels not only our linear platform but also new direct-to-consumer, social and mobile opportunities with the goal of owning the car vertical across all platforms.”

Unparalleled 360-Degree Solution for Advertisers

Upon closing of the transaction, the venture, to be called TEN: A Discovery Communications Company, will offer advertisers a unified offering with a combined reach of more than 150 million automotive superfans, car buyers and a quality male audience. The new venture will also bring proven expertise in the branded content space, as well as sophisticated audience targeting capabilities.

While TEN’s print businesses will not be contributed to the new venture, a commercial agreement will allow for continued cross-promotion between the print portfolio and the new venture for a true multiplatform, 360-degree advertising offering.

“This venture is about giving advertisers the quintessential way to reach auto enthusiasts, prospective car buyers and an affluent male audience that buys a lot more than cars,” said Paul Guyardo, Chief Commercial Officer for Discovery Communications. “It’s also about giving consumers OTT access to world-class automotive content on every screen.”

Guyardo will serve as CEO, and Chairman of the new venture’s Board of Directors in addition to his current responsibilities. Leading the new venture will be Scott Dickey, President of TEN, and Bob Scanlon, who will be appointed President of Velocity and TEN Video Content. Both Dickey and Scanlon will report to Guyardo.

New U.S. Direct-to-Consumer Offering

With plans to add Velocity content to TEN’s Motor Trend OnDemand subscription video on demand (SVOD) service, the new joint venture will mark Discovery’s first direct-to-consumer push in the U.S. and a growth opportunity for the country’s top automotive video subscription service. Motor Trend OnDemand will feature thousands of hours of automotive video, including exclusive original series, such as Roadkill, Head2Head, Dirt Everyday and Ignition alongside motorsports and live auto event content. Motor Trend OnDemand also will offer new, original content featuring some of the best-known talent from series across TEN and Velocity, including WHEELER DEALERS, BITCHIN’ RIDES, BARRETT-JACKSON LIVE, FANTOMWORKS, SPEED IS THE NEW BLACK, IRON RESURRECTION, THE AUTO FIRM WITH ALEX VEGA, and GARAGE SQUAD, and will be available across millions of connected devices via IOS/Apple TV, Google Play, Roku, Xbox, Chromecast and Amazon platforms.

“Velocity is the fastest growing network on cable since launching in 2011 and is the #1 television destination for automotive super fans, with a stable of experts and personalities that represent the most respected names in the car world,” said Scanlon. “By combining Velocity and TEN’s high-quality content, wide-reaching talented hosts and comprehensive production expertise, we are creating a powerhouse of short-, mid- and long-form content for the passionate and growing base of automotive super fans in the U.S. and around the world.”

“TEN’s automotive brands have become leaders in their categories by delivering a high quality, high engagement audience,” said Dickey. “We’ve made significant investments in digital, mobile, experiential and SVOD/direct-to-consumer. Working closely with Discovery, we believe these investments, combined with the appeal of Velocity, will allow us to collectively expand leadership in the multibillion-dollar automotive market.”

In the future, TEN has an option to put its stake in the venture to Discovery at fair market value. Discovery will have an option to acquire 100% of the new venture.

TEN is a portfolio company of GoldenTree Asset Management LP

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Also, Motortrend past shows are on Netflix. Seems they're trying to just branch out their viewer base. I agree on staying small on YouTube. The moment they get a big budget show on a network is the moment some bean counter behind a desk ruins the show. It was bad enough when Dodge got involved.

Hutch

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Also, Motortrend past shows are on Netflix. Seems they're trying to just branch out their viewer base. I agree on staying small on YouTube. The moment they get a big budget show on a network is the moment some bean counter behind a desk ruins the show. It was bad enough when Dodge got involved.

Hutch

Like some others I cannot watch many of the shows because of the fake/scripted drama and over the top bs. You get maybe 5 minutes of the actual car build.

Just like how so many have been duped over these so called reality shows. Producers dictate so much behind the scenes that I am waiting for someone to sue a network so they put the disclaimer on the car shows that "some scenes have been dramatized or reenacted for entertainment purposes". I like to be entertained, but when one car show starts looking like the other, the same types working there like the clown, the serious worker, the flunky, I just turn the tv off. The way some of these shops are I would never give them my car if that is how business is done.

I like roadkill and I hope they do not become just another tv clone. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor