RockAuto and Dorman

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Rock auto has the best interchange lists of any supplier. Find the part you want, and back reference what vehicles it fits to see what other cars it came off of.

Looking for some goofy ECM at a salvage yard? Find it new or replacement on Rock and reference to another one your salvage yard might have. Between RA and the naley GMC parts website its enough to fix way more goofy stuff than you care to know :)

My buddy did a 3800 supercharged swap in his fiero and needed some different plugs and wiring. He went to autozone and they couldn't understand what he needed. He told them how to look for parts on Rockauto and Naley GMC for the digrams, the autozone/advance jockeys were ASTONISHED at what those diagrams and cross references were able to find. Said those sources were 10 times as good as the stuff they had.

That is why the internet sites are better. I will go to a in person store for some stuff but its tough, last time I got an oil filter they gave me the wrong way. I get as many parts from the farm/feet supply store as I can. 2/3 the price and I can actually find the right part.

gmparts

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
If you need any Dorman products, I am a distributor for there complete line.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That is why the internet sites are better.
Except O'Reilly's site. Said they had to order the window regulator fot the '08 Silverado POS, found it in stock at Advance at a higher price to find out afterwards O'Reilly had it cheaper (& I had a $5 coupon to use there too.)

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Learn something new every day. I thought this was illegal, so I went digging. The legal name for it is "minimum resale price maintenance." And I used to be right, it *was* illegal .... until a Supreme Court ruling in 2007. Since then, the practice is subject to the "rule of reason." Whatever that may mean, depending on how sane people are, apparently.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Rock auto has the best interchange lists of any supplier. Find the part you want, and back reference what vehicles it fits to see what other cars it came off of.

Looking for some goofy ECM at a salvage yard? Find it new or replacement on Rock and reference to another one your salvage yard might have. Between RA and the naley GMC parts website its enough to fix way more goofy stuff than you care to know :)

My buddy did a 3800 supercharged swap in his fiero and needed some different plugs and wiring. He went to autozone and they couldn't understand what he needed. He told them how to look for parts on Rockauto and Naley GMC for the digrams, the autozone/advance jockeys were ASTONISHED at what those diagrams and cross references were able to find. Said those sources were 10 times as good as the stuff they had.

That is why the internet sites are better. I will go to a in person store for some stuff but its tough, last time I got an oil filter they gave me the wrong way. I get as many parts from the farm/feet supply store as I can. 2/3 the price and I can actually find the right part.
Only thing I go to parts stores for as of late are belts (returns are easier), batteries (again returns), and random tidbits like clamps and hoses.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, I go to local parts stores for some oil. And, an occasional "it just broke" part, but amazon.com and RockAuto.com have most of my business.

Oil filters are a 1/3 the price. Sparkplugs are about 1/2 price. I rebuilt my entire 2WD Blazer front end and brakes all the way around for what O-really wanted for just shocks. AND, I get to pick the name brand....

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
They gotta reason. It's called Amazon. A minor pipsqueak is RockAuto.com.

Funny though how Amazon seems to have trouble making an actual profit.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I use summit racing on a regular basis. Then if I need something quick I go to OReilly's and get them to price match rockauto.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor