MALIBU Rockauto Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Hello,
It never ends with this car apparently, it looks like the front spring s were heated up with a torch at some point. I don't know why, there was homemade spacers above the springs as well. Anyway, Rockauto has some new front springs for pretty cheap. Anyone used these front springs from Moog? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=200751&cc=1055089&pt=7512&jsn=40025
I just want a factory original spring rate, it's a 78' Malibu coupe with a factory 305.

Last edited:

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Hello,
It never ends with this car apparently, it looks like the front spring s were heated up with a torch at some point. I don't know why, there was homemade spacers above the springs as well. Anyway, Rockauto has some new front springs for pretty cheap. Anyone used these front springs from Moog? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=200751&cc=1055089&pt=7512&jsn=40025
I just want a factory original spring rate, it's a 78' Malibu coupe with a factory 305.
They'll work just fine. Just remember, they are going to lift the car A LOT compared to its current ride height.

Reactions: 3 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i would consider moog 5664 wire diameter of 0.760 free height 13.184 this is a very close spring rate and height that hotchkis suspension and umi and Spohn use. lowers the front close to 2 inches.

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
5658 will get rid of the floatiness of the front end and keep it around stock height, or slightly lower depending on the sag of the original springs.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
After researching SPIDS and spring tags and such, the F41 suspension on the G-bodies, for the most part, uses LOW spring rates. One thing that surprised me a little was that many Monte Carlo SS's SPIDs I've seen has like DHK rear spring codes, which are on the absolute bottom of the GM parts list scale for G-bodies for 85-86 as the mushiest production spring rate. The lowest rate I've seen so far on 442 is DHN, which is one step above the HK springs. Mostly, the SW and PZ springs are found on 442, and sometimes a stiffer TS thrown in there now and then, and they're rather lowish in spring rate, but not THE lowest. Additionally, the spring rates COULD vary from side to side depending on the "computerized spring requirement calculations" or whatever they used to determine which spring applied to which corner of the car during production. Usually, there was only one spring step difference from side to side, such as in the front, one spring may be a DNZ and the other a DNY, but sometimes they jumped a few. And the service part replacement spring for both was the DNZ part number. Strange things. Confused yet?

84-up has a SPID, otherwise you'll have to be lucky and find the spring tag still attached or find your build sheet.

85-86 Monte front spring chart. The more common DYK was used in many a Monte SS, as well as 442.
1672237855100.png

85 Cutlass spring chart. Note DUJ is at the highest spring rate available for Monte Carlo, yet it's in the bottom 4 for Cutlass. I haven't seen any 442 with a higher rate than DUJ. Doesn't mean they don't exist, it's just many are DYK or DNY.
1672238111931.png

Another interesting thing is that as the years went along, by 1986 and 87, for the F41 cars anyway, they reduced it down to like 4 front spring rates. Going back to 1984, there were like 15 different spring rates. Even more weirdness.

I recall seeing some spring data on the stock springs a good while back, but I didn't save it or remember it or anything. Another one of those things that make you wish you did something different at the time. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Here's a low-mile 86 442 with SW and TS springs. TS isn't normally found on the cars. Only one stiffer spring than that was TA. The majority of 84 H/O's and 442s will show up with SW or PZ (or combination of those).

1672236622177.png

But you were wondering about your 78 Malibu stock springs. That would depend on what your door decal said as far as front and rear gross vehicle weight ratings were. This info is also sometimes found on build sheets at the bottom, usually. Maybe this chart below can help. (use 2.2 lbs per KG if you have to do any math conversions)

I found it was interesting the chart says to subtract 32 kg from the front GAWR and 36 kg from the rear GAWR if you have bucket seats.

1672242413364.png

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Additional information for 78 model year.

78 Front spring code chart.
1672242965622.png

78 Rear Spring code chart. Many spring codes/part numbers didn't change much over the years. Lots of substitutions though.

1672243011714.png

• Informative

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Wow, that's a lot of good info! Thanks!
I think I'm going with the 5658 springs, they should work well for this car.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Please take before and after pics so we can mark the difference. I'm curious to see how low your torched springs are now.

Note that there are two holes in the coil trough in the lower control arms. Make sire the coil ends are align with the same hole on both arms.

• Agree

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Definately food for thought for my '79 malibu.... im just lQQking for stock ride height for the front and back, put everything back nice and solid once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor