Rocker panel trim removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Can anyone know the proper way to remove the rocker panel trim on my 82 grand prix? It is 2 inches wide and runs from the front fender to the rear quater panel. There are no screws holding it on. I'm afraid of damaging the piece or breaking the clips. Is there a specific tool i need to buy? Any help would be appreciated, the car is going to the body shop for a paint job Monday morning and I want to get all the trim off the car.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There should be "fingers" on the top of the retaining clips that when new would flex when pressing downward on the trim. As with the age of the originals still on our cars, there will likely be some breaking. Might want to get some extras just in case. The doors may have metal clips with studs & nuts one the ends, access on the inside flange.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There should be "fingers" on the top of the retaining clips that when new would flex when pressing downward on the trim. As with the age of the originals still on our cars, there will likely be some breaking. Might want to get some extras just in case. The doors may have metal clips with studs & nuts one the ends, access on the inside flange.

you are correct but the problem I had was the fingers were brittle after all those years and many of the fingers broke.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
you are correct but the problem I had was the fingers were brittle after all those years and many of the fingers broke.
If I push straight down on the trim and pull the bottom towards me will it pop off? Im terrified of bending the trim. My buick A body trim sits on round clips and is screwed from the bottom.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Success! Got 1 side off and only broke 1 clip. The back side of the trim is packed with dirt but I don't see any rust on the rocker. thanks for the help. will post some pictures after the paint job.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor