Rocket 350: I need Headers and Exhaust Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
I'm restoring a 1979 Cutlass Calais t-top with an Olds Rocket 350, 2004r trans, 2500 stall converter, edlebrock aluminum dual plane intake, edlebrock (chevy) carb 795 cfm, 3.73 posi traction rear-end, etc....
The next step in the process for me is to start looking at exhaust and header options. I don't know much about which systems are best for CLEARANCE, sound, performance, etc. I was hoping that I could get some quality feedback on a nice set-up (headers, exhaust)
I've heard a lot about "Hooker" headers and "Headman" and I'm a bit partial towards magna flow exhaust.....
Any feedback....?

Reactions: 1 user

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I have long tube headers and dual exhaust with and H pipe and flow master super 44s before the rear axle and love the sound. I don't know what brand the headers are. I can check tomorrow when I get a chance. My motor is a 72 olds 350 with cam, intake, and some head work. I can see about posting a video if you'd like.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've heard good things about Pypes if you don't like the "hollow" sound of flowmasters which also sound good.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I have blackjack headers (now flowtech) which need some work to fit, dinging and what not, but for olds they all seem to need that unless you spend 1000 plus on headers, at less than $200 new, can't complain there.
For exhaust, I have pypes 2 1/2" behind the tire exit. Great system, fits like a glove. Just need to come up with 18" or so of pipe to connect the kit to your headers (they're all a little different).

I'd go this route again too. Works great and sounds good.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I went from Flowmaster 40s to Pypes Street Pros and im very happy I did.

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I'm gonna keep these in mind for my future olds build. I thank you also :D

Thanks, and even 10 years later, it still looks pretty good. High-flow cats are getting a tad rusty and I wish I would have done the x-pipe but still pretty happy with it. Had the right front wheel and fender off in this pic doing the stupid antenna swap which is why the car looks warped.

IMG_0428.JPG

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I redid the exhaust on my '79 Cutlass a couple months ago. Since I was going for a factory look, I ordered the intermediate pipes, muffler and tailpipes for a Grand National. Total was about $150 through Rockauto. Then I ordered up a couple sticks of pipe to go from the manifolds to just before the rearend and bent them up at work. The fit and appearance is good and the sound is just right for my taste. I'm sure it's leaving couple horsepower on the table but I don't drive a dyno.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor