OLDS Rod bearings and metal on metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Sooooo, I found out that the #6 rod bearing spun in the silver car's 455(468) due to an over rev situation (like 7200). I did this around 2014 and it has sat ever since. The only reason I knew it spun a bearing is it seized (wouldn't turn by the starter) a little while after that over rev (maybe 10 more minutes of operation with fluctuating oil pressure). I had hoped that it wasn't a main bearing and, at least, I was right.

The question is how do I approach the repair? I know I will pull the crank and that rod (and #5 also) to have the crank machined at least 0.010" under for #5/#6. I am thinking (as others have mentioned on Classic Olds) that it has to come all the way apart and everything needs to be completely cleaned. Then the block, crank and those two rods need to be reworked (if they can). Then put it all back together and SEND IT. Thoughts?

When this happened in 2014, I bought a spare 455 from someone in PA that turned out to be a great buy. Exactly as described and it put the silver car back on the road easily. Now, I have the decision to either pull the warmed over 455 from the silver car to put into the black car and then reinstall the badass 455 back into the silver car once it's fixed. OR, leave the silver car alone and put the badass 455 into the black car once it's fixed.

Black car has a 3.08:1 posi and built TH350. The silver car has a 3.73:1 posi and very strongly built 200-4R. I'm thinking the badass 455 needs to go back into the silver car and the relatively mild 455 should go into the black car...

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Be clear that it didn't spin it was overrevved - it spun because it lost oil or the rod had issues would be my guess. Pull the rest of the bearings and prove me wrong.

I'd get all of the rods checked, crank cut on the journal and then magnafluxed. If it needs more than .020 cut, then time for another crank in anything other than grocery getter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Be clear that it didn't spin it was overrevved - it spun because it lost oil or the rod had issues would be my guess. Pull the rest of the bearings and prove me wrong.

I'd get all of the rods checked, crank cut on the journal and then magnafluxed. If it needs more than .020 cut, then time for another crank in anything other than grocery getter.

I've over revved then stretched a rod and subsequently spun a bearing. Could be the case here. But I went past 10k when I did that on a 4 banger.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
NOT ON PURPOSE. Over rev due to loss of traction on dry pavement from a 30mph roll. Rev limiter was on the shelf waiting to be installed.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor